Team Saracen Recoil XC

CJB

Retro Newbie
Hi Guys,

New round here, but hoping someone might be able to help.

I've bought a Team Saracen Recoil XC frame off eBay with the view to building it up. I'm probably going to spec it with current kit rather than going for a period specific build as I want to ride it. Not sure if it's complete newbieness or just plain stupidity, but I don't know an awful lot about the frame.

My understanding is that it's a relatively rare one - the story attached to it seems to be that Santa Cruz either sued or threatened to sue Saracen due to the VPP pivot on the Recoil XC infringing on a patent they held, meaning there weren't many sold before the model was pulled, but I've no idea whether that's true or just helps sell the frames 18 years on! I did consider it might well have been pulled from sale originally for being rubbish before buying, so not worried if that turns out to be the case.

Anyway, this one is in very good condition for its age - I believe it's the 2002 model. I know the basics, but I'm not sure what the original fork travel or rear shock size and travel would have been (it's got a DNM Air Hyper AO-33RC rear shock fitted which I assume is an aftermarket one).

Any info anyone has would be handy - if not it'll be trial and error time, but original fork/shock sizing and details of the original spec would be great.

Cheers,

Chris

Back