Team Raleigh blue, marketing or was this a team bike?

Mark Manley

Raleigh Fan
I have seen a couple of Team Raleigh bikes from the 1970s with blue rather than red frames, they seem to be cheaper models with steel components and I was wondering if if any of the works bikes or SBDU models were made with this colour scheme or was it just another option for regular customers, does anyone have one or any information?

Team blue 2.jpg

Team blue 1.JPG

The complete bike is an export US market Raleigh Record in original paint and components apart from the saddle from 1974. It's got the second version of Raleigh Team livery decals which use exactly the same type and size font on the seat tube as on the down and top tube. This 2nd version of decal has no black outline and was used on the early yellow head tube Raleigh's in the red so rare version in blue. It's not listed at an option in the catalogue so maybe as Raleigh Dealer display bike 🤔

CATALOG RALEIGH 1974 (11).jpg

I worked in a Raleigh 5 Star Dealer back in the 70's and don't recall a blue one. The yellow head tube was not long lasting and usually appeared on frames coming from Carlton but with Raleigh branding.

The UK market Record got a much better spec with a Reynolds 531 frame, the US version got the Gas Pipe 👍

Europa.jpg

Back