Taking bikes to center parcs and theft

Re:

I took a Roberts Roughstuff and a Marin Pine Mountain to the Longlest one last September, and had no issues. Neither look particularly flash and modern though. I did double lock them together at all times with a couple of big thick chain locks, looped with extensions through all wheels etc. We left them outside the lodge at night as we were staying with others (if it’d been my choice I’d have brought them inside!).
I think the locks would need such work to cut during the day, and with it being so busy, I couldn’t see anyone taking the bikes then.
The only downside was carrying the big locks around in rucksacks.
Hiring was about £30 per bike though, so it’s almost worth buying a pub bike to take!

Re:

Buying a pub bike? I can taste bile ;)

Joking aside, I'm considering taking the kids bikes and hiring adult ones now. Even the bike I built for my wife is pretty tidy, a dmr with x-9, hope brakes, fox fork and carbon finishing kit. I was hoping to take it as she may have actually ridden it. Maybe some other time....

Curse you criminals, ruining an opportunity to actually ride a bike in relative safety.

Re:

You are right I'm sure. I'm probably looking for excuses not to work out how to mount the roof mounted racks and having to drive carefully with prized possessions on the roof, and of course in the car (family).

Speaking of racks, would you mount them using the t-track fittings to the roof bars, or the standard fittings?

Never owned a roof mounted bike rack before. Do I fit them all facing the same way, or alternate them so bikes face front, then back to allow more room?

Will a kids bike fit in them (Thule 951 I think they are), or are they too small? I've a boot mounted saris bones I've never used which will probably fit the kids bikes.

Went once to Longleat. It's the scariest place I have ever cycled...the bike paths are dreary and full of people who only ever cycle in Centre Parcs - no road sense and little control.

Re: Re:

brocklanders023":1oqnmhtl said:
Think you are over thinking it. Take them, be careful, be right.

Insure them and take decent locks etc. Note serial numbers. Take photos etc.

Re:

Why not go somewhere that isn't full of thieving scum, like abroad. :p

I blame the Tories.

ishaw":1pnudojl said:
You are right I'm sure. I'm probably looking for excuses not to work out how to mount the roof mounted racks and having to drive carefully with prized possessions on the roof, and of course in the car (family).

Speaking of racks, would you mount them using the t-track fittings to the roof bars, or the standard fittings?

Never owned a roof mounted bike rack before. Do I fit them all facing the same way, or alternate them so bikes face front, then back to allow more room?

Will a kids bike fit in them (Thule 951 I think they are), or are they too small? I've a boot mounted saris bones I've never used which will probably fit the kids bikes.

I used the t-track fitting with the wing bars. Easy enough to set up if you follow the instructions. I have two and have them pointing the same way with space in the middle for a roof box. If you are taking more than two I'd probably alternate front to back. Small bikes should be fine as the rear fitting slides right along the flat bit.

xerxes":30a6xh9j said:
Why not go somewhere that isn't full of thieving scum, like abroad. :p

I blame the Tories.
Due to the cost of a UK holiday, most of the UK goes abroad so scum is everywhere.

Re:

You can see an awful lot of scum around the edges of the swimming pool in most resorts these days.

I don’t even have a passport.

Latest posts

Back