Suspension Fork Help Max Rotor Size???

Re:

I like the setup how it is now. It is probably overkill but that's how i like it. It'll lift the back wheel while seated but I'm used to doing stoppie's and stuff and the modulation i find to be great.

Although what puts me off getting sus forks is the dive under braking which would be a bit unpredictable

Stoppies are easily doable on 180 with mech discs, and 160 with hydraulic. Given enough grip......
And FWIW, modern forks aren't unpredictable unless there is something really off with the set up

I firmly believe there's no such think as overkill when it comes to brakes. Back in 1994 when we all thought canti's were good enough, I had a major crash on a steep technical descent when I couldn't scrub off speed fast enough - almost lost a big chunk of my ear!!

I fitted a Hope mechanical disc on the front which everyone said was too much and overkill but you cant buy a decent bike these days that doesnt have discs.

The only penalty to running a larger disc is weight, if that doesn't bother you, stick with what you've got.

With the brakes you have you wont be exerting any mechanical loads or forces that the forks cant cope with, if you're happy with what you have then why change??

mattr":3jr57kvn said:
Stoppies are easily doable on 180 with mech discs, and 160 with hydraulic. Given enough grip......
And FWIW, modern forks aren't unpredictable unless there is something really off with the set up

I know stoppie's are easily do able with other brakes i rode trials for years with v brakes! I just like the way it is hence why i was confused about the max rotor sizes.

I didnt consider the forces on the fork being the reason for the limit.

Modernscrap":2saxef9i said:
I firmly believe there's no such think as overkill when it comes to brakes. Back in 1994 when we all thought canti's were good enough, I had a major crash on a steep technical descent when I couldn't scrub off speed fast enough - almost lost a big chunk of my ear!!

I fitted a Hope mechanical disc on the front which everyone said was too much and overkill but you cant buy a decent bike these days that doesnt have discs.

The only penalty to running a larger disc is weight, if that doesn't bother you, stick with what you've got.

With the brakes you have you wont be exerting any mechanical loads or forces that the forks cant cope with, if you're happy with what you have then why change??

I agree.

I wasn't looking to change my braking setup just was considering suspension forks and came across forks saying max 185mm discs.

Thanks for the help.

Kyle

Back