Support London's cyclists TfL DIE IN

I agree with you but change what's easiest enough to change first. I'm not looking to cast blame in either direct, accident investigators do that.

How many of these incidents has the driver been found at fault?

If 3 out of 14 were hit from behind with no turning involved.
That's a possible 11 less deaths if the cyclist wasn't in the position of danger during turning, if the cycling groups reduced the count by that much by making changes themselves there would be more clout behind reducing the other 3.

If TFL made changes and reduced the fatality rate by 11 a victory would be claimed.
I just can't see a reduction of 78% in one year happening via the high costs, long time scales changes proposed to TFL.

I'm just looking at cycling safety and the reduction of fatalities. Hopefully quickly.

If the change in perception of cyclists as 2nd class road users is what this protest/gathering is about then good luck to them, anything for a cycle utopia is a positive.

I still think an updated cycling profficiency certificate integrated into schools national curriculum and compulsary would be a step forward. Its weird how you must pass a test to drive a vehicle with an engine but not to ride a bicycle on the roads of the UK. Highway code apllies to all users of the highway but certain groups dont even feel the need to read it. Thats Pedestrians aswell as cyclists and horse riders, electric mobility scooterists etc

i mentioned the 3 as the details of the others are unclear (bow roundabout). if you watch the war on britains road documentary and see the footage of the young lady being overtaken and then left hooked by the tipper with the driver on the phone at the time speaks for itself.
the clerkenwell road one according to an eye witness said the lorry just came up behind him and drove straight over the top, it took a motorcyclist to force the attention of the driver to stop.
the guy that got hit by the coach was going around a left sweeping bend and the coach tried to overtake.
the lady in south london was going round a sweeping left bend and the tipper truck tried to overtake at a pinch point
I am doing some research into the cycling deaths and the causes of and have been for a while now to establish how these things are happening, but the simple facts are lack of observance, lack of space and poorly designed routes are failing to keep road users safe.
you dont need compulsory training because your not in charge of 1.5 tonnes of metal capable of wiping out whole columns of people, the car licence test is childs play in comparison to a hgv class1 where a medical is also required, this in turn is remedial english in comparison to a commercial pilots licence, its representative of the hazzard/risk. if you are going to compulsory train cyclists what about when pedestrians want to cross the road, or someone is walking down a country lane? do they need training? its all about the potential damage someone can do with their chosen means of transport and the responsibilitythey have arising from that choice.

joe careless":2twvbbda said:
Believe me the political power of cyclists is very high on the agenda for the 2015 gen. election,
High on their agenda maybe.

High on the government/opposition/voters agendas will be the cost of living, energy prices, house prices, jobs, tax, welfare, 'cuts', immigration, NHS, the EU, i.e. the usual. Cycling won't even register.

A London mayoral election I'd maybe accept cycle safety being a consideration but Scotland's got more chance of going 'independent' than it being on the agenda come 2015.

In regards to politically active groups, within the UK people that cycle regularly are recognised as a potentially valuable vote, health and transport are immediately brought to mind, Wales has a new law recognising the direct link, within this group you will find an incredible range of financial capabilities people riding sub-£200 bikes to £4000+.
Simply put nothing much can/is willing to be done in regards to fuel costs so the motorised vehicle vote is stagnant.
The largest growth in bicycle sales is female frames often the utility style and statistically women exercise their vote in greater proportion to their male counterparts.
The All party parliamentary cycling group has been set up and this is a significant body with members that recognise the massive opportunity it gives them and the clear stark health benefits that an increase in cycling as transportation represents.
If the multi-national logistics industry is re-evalating the role of cycle logistics in the lessening of their financial fuel burden (especially in heavily urbanised areas) then one has to ask why not push cycling provision to a greater political level?

people + industry =political value

In regards to cycle training the demise of the 'national standards cycle training' was partly led by a belief that the physical skill set of riding a bike seemed more important than 'tooling them up' with the continuous risk assessment and roadcraft awareness that makes a cyclist safer. It has been replaced with a commercially led scheme called Bikeability, that is paid for by road safety budgets and therefore only really held at minimal level and is only provided to schools where there is a lead from management staff and a willingness to implement sound and continuous support for persons choosing to cycle to school.
A recent discussion with senior staff at C-Y-B about their experience in regards to bike riding skill levels of customers where I concluded ''people confuse the physical aspect of riding a bike and the skill of riding safely regardless of terrain/environment, hence the provision of a suitable infrastructure goes hand in hand with suitable training for all persons that interact with that environment and that it is made easily available''
Personally I have always held the belief that the Cycle to work scheme is an ideal point in which to introduce cycle roadcraft skills to adults.

Having ridden motorcycles as well as cycles over many years, I have long since wanted car drivers to experience what it is like to be on a bike (motorised or otherwise) as part of the learning to drive process. I now reckon awareness right across the board could be improved through experience of the alternative transport types. By this I mean that all road users should experience being on cycles and motorcycles as well as being in cars and HGVs.
Because Andy drives an HGV, I'm aware of the dangers of being hidden down in the nearside of the truck. However, I didn't really know how easy it is to 'lose' a cyclist or pedestrian until I actually drove one for myself when I had an hour's 'experience' in one. I also came away realising just how much room an HGV needs to manoeuvre.
I do realise that it's probably not possible for all road users to experience each different type of transport but that won't stop me wishing it would happen.
I do also realise that this wouldn't stop every accident from happening.

Back