Sunn bikes history

henristig

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
Calling all Sunn connoisseurs! I'm about to purchase a NOS Sunn Vertik 2 from 1998 and this has gotten me interested in the history of the company. I know they're French and I've heard they've had a turbulent past, but that's about the bulk of it. I'd be delighted if you guys could shed some more light on the past/present state of the company!

Also, old magazine reviews & historical articles would be much appreciated if you guys have any. (Have already gone through the stuff in the archives)

Cheers,

-H

I'm afraid I can't offer any special insight into the brand, but I can tell you that they're well liked around here. I particularly like their late 90s steel stuff - it just looks 'right' to my eyes. Whisper it in this part of the forum, but I have a half built up 2003 alloy Sunn Crosss downstairs, and that also looks 'right' to me, even if it is alloy.

Here's their entry on French Wikipedia, roughly translated .......

Sunn was a French company which manufactured bikes, mountain bikes and essentially has enjoyed immense fame in his field in the 1990s by its results in competition. It was put into liquidation in March 2013.
Sunn began in the 1980s by making BMX. Sunn was created by Max Commencal, which since 2000 leads a company of the same name based in Andorra. Sunn is still based in Saint-Gaudens, Haute-Garonne.
The French driver Nicolas Vouilloz has long been the flagship of the brand, thanks to its ten world titles in downhill mountain biking. Anne-Caroline Chausson also won multiple world championships in Sunn she ran for many years.

Regards

You're definitely on point, they simply look right. I hope they feel right too. I always thought of Sunn as this slightly obscure brand that made decent bikes, but due to the relative silence surrounding their bikes on forums and what not I never really got too excited about them until a NOS one popped up just near by. I simply couldn't resist.

I really like the looks of their late 90's geo, and the chrome finish + yellow top tube is magnificent yet understated in quite a gentlemanly way. I'm not sure, but the geometries look pretty close to what Kona was doing at the time (which is a GOOD thing). Might have to measure when I get a hold of the Sunn.

On the downside though, I've heard that some of the bikes were prone to cracking. Can someone confirm this?

BTW thanks for the translation, my french skills couldn't have handled that!

-H

Sunn was a french BMX brand in the last 80ies created by Max Commençal. They went to mtb and grew up in the beginning of the 90ies with coppying Kona and Jo Murray's geometries (sloping frames). A Sunn got a very shiny chrome finish and very funny and cool Zoobab's graphic design on them.
Very popular in France, their bike became the best seller. There were Sunn everywhere. In comparison, it's like Orange in UK.
Designed in the south of France in the town of St Gaudens, near the Pyrénées, Sunn became a race brand too, in downhill first with the Radical Plus and its suspension created and developped by Sunn (rear suspension like Prolink system, and the first upside down double crown forks…). Cédric Gracia and Anne Caroline Chausson begun to ride with Sunn before going in the Cannondale team, and Caroline Chausson, François Gachet and Nicolas Vouilloz were Worldchampion with the Radical Plus.
They try to go faster than 200km/h on snow with Eric Barone.

After the middle of the 90ies; Sunn becam a big XC team too, with the Sunn Exact titane, made with colombus hyperion tubing and welded by Morati. (the Morati's titanium crankset and component were developped for Sunn first). Miguel Martinez were Olympic and world champion on that bike.

But in 1998, Max Commençal was hired and created Commençal bicycle, and Sunn begun to die.

henristig":152dy6o9 said:
On the downside though, I've heard that some of the bikes were prone to cracking. Can someone confirm this?

The first Sunn were made with Ecell tubing which were difficult to weld.
After, some tange, Fuji and Colombus tubing, all welded in Taïwan. No more britle or strong as other asiatic production. But if you want lightweight steel, it's difficult for not being brittle…
The Sunn Exact Titane was made by Morati and was strong. But on other hand, quite all the titanium crankset broke, as quite all titanium crankset made by other brands :D

jaypee":3vqk8qf9 said:
Link to the 97 catalogue from which you should be able to find a bunch of other years too
http://www.le-jurassien.com/sunn/catalo ... mmes97.php

Nice find, need one like that in the retrobike archives.

Also worth a read is this one on pinkbike

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/From-The-T ... -2013.html

The man that started it all and made one of the best downhill bikes of all time :cool: (still making nice bikes)

Not sure on the budget models but the high end bikes are amazing, both XC & DH race bikes had in house shocks & forks which were on another level than the competition.
A seriously race focused brand with a ton of medals under it's belt.

hi,

you can read the french forum sunnproteam.fr

even if your french are so bad as my english !! lol :facepalm: :LOL: :LOL:

Back