Sundayjumper's 1990 Attitude Dolomite On a Budget

Sundayjumper

Specialized Fan
An Attitude ? On a budget ? Well, it's relative isn't it ? :) Basically I don't want to spend more than it's worth. If the worst happens and I have to sell up, I want to feel I'm not out of pocket. So I'm not going mad with the NOS and I'm not going for any exotic bling. I'd like to stay close to the standard XT build as far as possible. And apologies for the lack of photos, I've not taken many so far !

Anyway. I've always wanted one of these. I remember going to the bike show in London when they first came out (end of '89 ?) and WOW. It was literally the best thing I had ever seen. I came home and told my parents about it. I kept writing "ATTITUDE" in that italic shadow font in the back of my school notes. But to a young teenager they were impossibly expensive. IIRC they were £2k. The following year, having saved like crazy while working in my LBS during weekends & holidays, I had £900 and spent it on a CR7 reduced from its £1200 RRP because it was last year's model. That was a pretty flash bike but an Attitude was still more than twice the price. Never an option.

Fast forward <ahem> "some" years and occasionally they have turned up in my size but never quite at the right time. So when I got the opportunity this year I claimed it was a special birthday present to myself and went for it. A frameset freshly refreshed by jonrock. So exciting.

13.jpg

It sat in the lounge for a week, just so I could stare at it !

Next, how to acquire the right bits ? Doing it piecemeal could take forever. A huge stroke of luck and a suitable donor was found with a vgc 1990 XT groupset that would provide almost everything I needed. I got stuck into that yesterday. This era of XT was mirror polished and it still comes up lovely. Here's the front brake after a quick polish. It's better in real life.

14.jpg

Not NOS quality, but pretty close. 26 year old brake blocks might be interesting to ride !

Brakes cleaned & polished. Shifters & rear mech too. Need to source the correct band-on front mech. Fitting the gear cables.... BLOODY INTERNAL CABLE ROUTING !! Jon had fitted new liners, but I like to cross over the gear cables so that the outers don't rub on the headtube, which meant removing & reinstalling the liners. Massive PITA. But I did it eventually. Front brake fine, rear brake cable just a touch too short so a new pair ordered. Chainset dismantled and every tooth individually cleaned. Any normal person would give me a funny look right now, but I'm sure you guys are just nodding approvingly :) XT pedals cleaned & polished, Specialized toe clips fitted from one of my other bikes. And here I'll mention one of my pet peeves - otherwise obsessively period correct bikes without toe clips. They were ubiquitous BITD (unless you had the brand new, groundbreaking SPDs). That's why so many pedals are asymmetric, they have a "right" side to put your foot on. If one side is cut away on the outside edge, they're meant to have toe clips !

Next, the wheels. M730 & M732 hubs in great condition laced to M231CD rims that look almost unused. A couple of rides max. Lovely. But bizarrely 36h front & 32h rear. I think the donor bike was a Friday afternoon parts bin job. The nipples were all discoloured with age so I've ordered new ones, stripped the wheels down today and will rebuild them later in the week when I have new nipples. Shiny hubs & almost unmarked rims:

16.jpg

15.jpg

Next d'oh moment - the rear hub is 130mm and the Klein frame is 135mm. Longer axle ordered. And then I realised that means the XT skewer won't be long enough either. So as the only modern component I'll use on this bike, I'm using Halo Allen key skewers. They're cheap & neat. I use them on a lot of my bikes.

There's still work to do, but I'm waiting on parts for a few days now. Saddle will be a Turbo I think, I always found them comfy, but a Flite seems to be the default choice by everybody else building one of these. I'll be using a modern seat post until I find either an XT (which seem to be very expensive if they're even slightly black) or something nice from the right era at the right price. This is a budget build remember !

So that's all for now. I'll hopefully be ready for the big reveal at the weekend !

Frame looks great, and polished M730 will look very smart.
Looking forward to the finished pictures, although you say it's "on a budget" it's still getting XT components, so not exactly bargain basement stuff, when I saw the title of the thread I imagined Tourney mechs and Lee Chi plastic brakes lol.

Was this the one advertised on the forum recently?
I looked at it a few times trying to work out if I had the space and thankfully someone saved me from myself and bought it! :LOL:
Looking forward to seeing it come together and I'll be interested to know what you think is a relatively small budget! :LOL:

Yes, it was bought through the forum. And I made it clear it's all relative when calling it a budget build ;) Basically, these always seem to be £2k as a full build, so if I can do it comfortably inside that I'm happy.

FWIW this is my only flashy retro bike, before you jump to conclusions ! I've wanted one literally since they first came out so I've really pushed the boat out to buy the frame. All my other retro bikes are in the £50-£150 range, except the tandem, which was £350. If I count it as two bikes it nearly fits the average...

Hey, no conclusion jumping here! :LOL:

I can still remember the first time I saw one and my jaw just hitting the floor, and it was a dolomite, so I know what the draw is.

Re:

Looking good so far Steve, I didn't notice that with the wheels!, how odd.

I've been a bit under the weather this week, so not as much progress as hoped for. I've laced the wheels today, need to finish them off later. Rear axle & brake cables have arrived so those can go on during the week and we're nearly done !

Wheels laced:
18.jpg

Hub lettering aligned with valve hole (of course!):
19.jpg

Going to be amazing, as all rigid Dolomites! Don't often see big ones so will be a rarity too. Good luck with build. I have an xs one coming this week, but full build so won't have the pleasure of the build.

Still not finished.... so just a couple of small update pics until we're ready to show all !

I also sat on the bike for the first time today, the first time it's had wheels in, and it's quite a nice fit for my own 6'4" frame. Not nearly as arse-in-the-air as I was expecting for an early nineties race bike. That's quite a relief.

Not keen on Biopace, but it'll have to do until I get some round rings:
20.JPG

Immaculate, unscratched BB:
21.JPG

XT pedals with Specialized toe clips:
22.JPG

More shiny XT, and the anachronistic skewer:
23.JPG

Re:

Awesome story, so pleased you found your teenage dream bike in your size and sounds like within a reasonable budget. Good to see one being done on older XT parts.

It's a beaut.
:)

Back