Suggestions for first road bike in 2022

denkelini

Retro Newbie
My job has a $600 health/fitness credit, which I want to use towards my first road bike. I have to use it in the next two months.
I learned to ride on a Mongoose hybrid from Walmart, and I loved it. But then I rented a road bike for a few months as my primary mode of transportation, and now the Mongoose feels like a lead tricycle. I logged hundreds of miles on commute / weekend trips, but I don't remember (and can't find out) what kind of bike I rented. I don't yet know the exact specs or components that I'd want in a bike - I just know that I loved the thing I rented, and I want to keep cycling.
Level of cycling experience:
10 years on a hybrid, 4 months of daily commute with a nice road bike
Price range:
$600 - $1200. Happy to spend more than the credit, as long as it is worth it to get a better bike. I want something that I can enjoy for several years (even if I end up becoming an avid cyclist).
New or used:
I prefer new, unless I can get a substantially better bike by buying used. Redeeming the fitness credit will be somewhat harder if buying a used bike from previous owner.
Purpose of bike:
Commute and fitness. Probably no more than 50 miles per week. My commute is about 2 miles of red lights and medium traffic, but I can see myself riding 20 or 30 miles as exercise on weekends.
Riding conditions:
City traffic for commutes, little / no traffic during fitness and recreational use. Flat terrain, paved roads. I live in a subtropical climate (southeast US) - not sure if humidity is a problem.

Hi.

Well, you are on a retro site., so don't expect too much input with modern stuff.

I would look into some older Kona's (the Honky Tonk for example) which had a nice retro style, but modern, well built, rides well, easy to maintain, and great for your purpose.

1668808545277.png

Going into retro road you can get better and more refined and more exotic, but there is a lot of learning to do.

I would go for this, a Canyon Endurance. It is a road bike that is set up for longer rides. This has Shimano 105 drivetrain, so good quality but affordable. I think it will be comparable to the rental you rode.

1668973718209.png

I think you will get a lot more bike for your $ if you go used as $600 is not a huge budget - a Cannondale Caad8 comes to mind for me as a good value used bike. I don't know where you are from, but if you are in the US getting something from BikesDirect might be a way to maximize your ROI on a new bike. Aluminum Trek Domane/Emonda models is another place to look. My wife test rode the ALR4 of both models (Tiagra equipped) and liked them. You can upgrade the wheels later for a bit more performance after you've ridden it a while.

Of course all of this is from a Canadian perspective

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back