Suggestions for first road bike in 2022

denkelini

Retro Newbie
My job has a $600 health/fitness credit, which I want to use towards my first road bike. I have to use it in the next two months.
I learned to ride on a Mongoose hybrid from Walmart, and I loved it. But then I rented a road bike for a few months as my primary mode of transportation, and now the Mongoose feels like a lead tricycle. I logged hundreds of miles on commute / weekend trips, but I don't remember (and can't find out) what kind of bike I rented. I don't yet know the exact specs or components that I'd want in a bike - I just know that I loved the thing I rented, and I want to keep cycling.
Level of cycling experience:
10 years on a hybrid, 4 months of daily commute with a nice road bike
Price range:
$600 - $1200. Happy to spend more than the credit, as long as it is worth it to get a better bike. I want something that I can enjoy for several years (even if I end up becoming an avid cyclist) film plus.
New or used:
I prefer new, unless I can get a substantially better bike by buying used. Redeeming the fitness credit will be somewhat harder if buying a used bike from previous owner.
Purpose of bike:
Commute and fitness. Probably no more than 50 miles per week. My commute is about 2 miles of red lights and medium traffic, but I can see myself riding 20 or 30 miles as exercise on weekends bee tv .
Riding conditions:
City traffic for commutes, little / no traffic during fitness and recreational use. Flat terrain, paved roads. I live in a subtropical climate (southeast US) - not sure if humidity is a problem.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back