Suggestions for an all round MTB

mattr":1j6x7gra said:
Most trail centre routes can be ridden HT or even fully rigid without too much concern.

(Unless you are a shortsighted, hamfisted gibbon who couldn't spot a line if it was painted flouro green.)

Perhaps, but for a an all rounder I would be looking at as light a full susser as would cover my needs.

Cube stereos get rave reviews if your budget is decent.
I bought a NOS pace rc506 half price and it's great. Light enough for long XC but more gnar than I am for the rockiest things North Wales trail centres can throw at you.
I've also got a 29er hardtail which does smooth things out a fair bit but as you say doesn't do the same job as a full susser.

Haven't checked out cubes yet but could be an option. Would have around 1500 on the budget so I imagine I could get something half decent off the peg, frame obviously the most important part as upgrades can always be done at a later date.

£1500 will buy you something nice from this year's range, but if you look at two or three year old bikes on sale prices it will buy you something EPIC!

Take a look at the Niner Jet 9 Alu. It is a really good allrounder. I had the Al version and get really hooked in the NIners performance. Dont expect ot go as cheep as a Giant, Canyon or the like.. But there is some really good deals on new Jet9's from last season and the ones before becuse they just released a new alu frame this year. The Jet9 RDO carbon will cost you quite some more... but in terms of performance you wont feel much difference (got the RDO myself...). But it looks the bomb

If you're looking for a true "ride everywhere, anytime of the year" MTB, consider building up a fatbike and a second set of wheels built on 700c rims.

Back