Help returning Full Susser Noob

secret_squirrel

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Howdy,

After 5-8 years away from RB Roadying and Graveling on moderns stuff I find myself hankering for something more capable off road than my Gravel bike. So I've decided I'm in the market for a Full Susser but completely lost among the niches and complexities of the mid teenies MTB market.

The riding I like is classic UK XC. Bridleways and single track. No interest in big drops or trail centers outside of Swinley which is 1/2hr away.

Thing is I all the bikes I like seem to be marked as "trail" bikes and the marketing (BS?) seems to suggest thats merely "ok" for XC.

I have a max of 1k to spend and would prefer less.

Bikes I have liked from looks alone are

Cannondale Habit 3 2016 (I have a hankering for a lefty)
Orange Four (Probably out of my price range)

Always fancied a Specialized too.

Leaning towards a 27.5 for no particular reason than Im smallish - 5'7".

Im ignoring the progressive / evo thing as both more niche marketing/out of my price range.

HELP!

I'd consider anything with 27.5" wheels and from 2016 to be a bit too modern for a lot of tastes here on Retrobike. There will be someone with opinions on the bikes you're considering though.
I decided last year that I finally needed a full suspension XC bike, started with a Y2K Diamondback XLink found locally and built it with my own parts.

As with any older full suspension bike, parts availability can be a big issue for things like bushings and shocks, depending on the frame.

Around 2015(ish), geometry began to change to prioritise trail riding over XC. Longer, lower and slacker has become the order of the day. Some modern stuff rides well enough up hill too.

Personally, for what you are wanting to do I'd be tempted to either get a more trail orientated hard tail eg the Whyte 901/905/909 from around that time or a slightly earlier full sus which will have the older more XC orientated geometry. As sam suggests parts may be an issue with earlier full sus.

Thing is I all the bikes I like seem to be marked as "trail" bikes and the marketing (BS?) seems to suggest thats merely "ok" for XC.

You are quite right, it’s all BS. You have all these distinctions which all overlap and in all honesty aren’t that different. What was considered trail 15 years ago, is now short travel trail or even xc.

Sounds like you’re looking at the right kind of bikes but it sure how good an example you’d get for your budget. Be careful of cheaper older bikes as the suspension components often have never been serviced.

I’d avoid anything with non standard suspension parts. I love Lefty forks as well, but I’d bet the one on that Habit has never been looked at and very few companies touch them.

If I can go left field can I suggest you look at the Calibre Bossnut. Think it’s been discontinued but there are quite a few examples on eBay way under your budget. Was sold by Go Outdoors and won lots of tests. It’s not going to be light but I’d imagine most being sold are covid bikes and won’t have seen a hard life.

If you like Specialized then the Epic would be a good pick.

You should be able to get a 2016ish Orange 4 or 5 for around £1000 no problem (if you can find a 4). That's where I'd be going but don't rule out the Segment as it's a great bike + cheaper than a 5, as is the 5 29/Alpine 5.

I was looking for a 5 around this age a few months back and there was plenty of choice.

For general stuff you cant go wrong with an Anthem.It climbs as good as it descends.Excellent all rounder.Hands down the best do it all bike Ive ever had.

Another vote for an Anthem - very capable, light but strong aluminium, what might be known now as a 'downcountry' bike.

I recently picked up a 2015 Scott Spark for about £700 - quite a steep head angle and very racey, 100mm front and rear, so sounds like it might be up your street.

I have been looking for a 27.5 trail bike of that era and they are hard to find, but you might have more luck with XC.

I would urge you to consider a 29er though. Mid 2010s a lot of the frames were still QR or 12x142 rear wheel axle sizes, with less tyre clearance than now. This means you can find very good quality wheels with hubs and rim widths of that era for very good money, assuming you're happy to run 2.2 or 2.3 inch width tyres. This mitigates the weight issue with 29 inch wheels over 27.5, while also giving you the much faster and more comfortable ride that 29ers bring. Honestly they just roll over everything, it's great!

Back