Stupid question, but can a HG90 chain be extended easily?

Re:

We discussed this in the last week.

The pins are peened over so when removed the end wil still be too large to push in.... but if you take a round needle file and put a small chamfer on the hole on the inside of the link plate, that is enough to help the pin go in without splaying the plate.

Once fitted, hammer the end with a drift to peen it over.

So yes, it can be done and works well. If that is too much of a faff, then use shimano joining pins or jouning links.

Re: Re:

02gf74":1a8bvjs8 said:
We discussed this in the last week.

The pins are peened over so when removed the end wil still be too large to push in.... but if you take a round needle file and put a small chamfer on the hole on the inside of the link plate, that is enough to help the pin go in without splaying the plate.

Once fitted, hammer the end with a drift to peen it over.

So yes, it can be done and works well. If that is too much of a faff, then use shimano joining pins or jouning links.
Great tips there thanks. :)

Hopefully the standard Shimano link pins will suffice. I'm not the best on the tools but my willingness usually prevails!

Wish me luck :LOL:

Had the new Shimano chain on my road bike fail last week, began to get a gear "clicka" every 3 pedal strokes while climbing. Pin hadn't been adequately inserted by LBS on assembly (recently bought the bike used). I peened it with 2 hammers, after the road-side repair with a pair of rocks...

I've never had a link separate on my Sachs/Sram chained rides (most of my fleet).

But, yes, a shimano chain can be extended with reasonable ease, if care is taken, and the pin is peened following re-assembly. Or the stupid special pin is used.

I'm also not typically hard on xmission parts, except freehub bodies, it seems....

J

I've always been able to reinsert Shimano chain pins, it's a bit fiddly but doable.
The joining links they come with are dreadful - in future I'll be buying SRAM chains, they're completely painless to install, and they have better lengths too, like 8 speed specific :)

FSXStumpy":eeo7eo8k said:
Had the new Shimano chain on my road bike fail last week, began to get a gear "clicka" every 3 pedal strokes while climbing. Pin hadn't been adequately inserted by LBS on assembly (recently bought the bike used). I peened it with 2 hammers, after the road-side repair with a pair of rocks...
J

Yep, i once used the same caveman tools to fix chain link on my gary fisher.

Im using kmc chains with quick link, something i was against but so far had no issues at all, in fact it came handy being able to separated the chain after a nasty bit of chain suck where it had got past the chain stay.

Great advice and the usual debates for and against, thanks all.

Gonna give it a bash as soon as a cassette spacer I'm waiting for turns up from a member on here so hopefully it turns up tomorrow then I'll get both installed.

Ghosty":33e6w3dy said:
I've always been able to reinsert Shimano chain pins, it's a bit fiddly but doable.
The joining links they come with are dreadful - in future I'll be buying SRAM chains, they're completely painless to install, and they have better lengths too, like 8 speed specific :)

Yep me too! but the last time i had a go at fixing one these chains together i was practically pulling my hair out so i think a change over to Sram is on the cards for me too! ..

Back