Stunning Kona Koa 99% original 1997

al-onestare":29dtwrx5 said:
Question for Anthony I guess but why was this running canti's in 97 when the steel range were on V's?

As a wild guess, either due to cost or that Kona considered V's unnecassery for their entry level bikes (or both). The Hahanna, Fire Mountain and Lava Dome were all steel but built for canti's. I guess the interesting thing is that (and I may be wrong) the Koa and Muni Mula share ostensibly the same frame but the latter had V's (likewise for the Lave Dome and Cinder Cone).

Tallpaul":27kj02a9 said:
al-onestare":27kj02a9 said:
Question for Anthony I guess but why was this running canti's in 97 when the steel range were on V's?

As a wild guess, either due to cost or that Kona considered V's unnecassery for their entry level bikes (or both). The Hahanna, Fire Mountain and Lava Dome were all steel but built for canti's. I guess the interesting thing is that (and I may be wrong) the Koa and Muni Mula share ostensibly the same frame but the latter had V's (likewise for the Lave Dome and Cinder Cone).

Hmmm, I always regarded the Koa as at least on a par with a CC if not higher but that could be my error!

al-onestare":168y5t7l said:
Hmmm, I always regarded the Koa as at least on a par with a CC if not higher but that could be my error!

The Koa was Kona's least-expensive aluminium framed offering. I think it was cheaper than the Cinder Cone.

The Koa was rigid, had canti's and 7sp versus the Rock Shox, V's and 8sp of the Cinder Cone, which suggests Kona had them pitched at different levels.

If it's fair to make the comparison at all, I'd suggest Koa = Lava Dome & Muni Mula = Cinder Cone.

EDIT: But as I'd eluded to in my previous post, I think the respective frames were the same, aside for some braze-ons (sic). So the distinction comes down to componentry. Therein lay the beauty (for me) of Kona's; you could buy a relatively cheap bike which looked and rode far better than its price tag suggested and therefore upgrade the components as they wore, without ending up with a sheep in wolfs clothing.

There will be some changes to the bike as i need it to ride and perform well, gone with some Pace RC36EVo 1998 forks and extended the Race-lite bars by 100mm in total and changed the pedals for some slightly more usefull flats, also putting the original bar ends back on, and as parts wear out i will be upgrading to 1997 / 98 XTR componantry untill its full XTR throughout, that way i should get it down from 24.9LB to around 22LB, hopefully anyway.

Thanks for the kind comments guys, new pics as soon as i get my new parts for it, shoulkd make it alot more rideable on a long day out. :LOL:

Kona Calder Valley

Well Well,

Just joined the forum and was hunting around for pics of bikes when I stumbled across a picture of a Kona in front of some rocks, then a path through woods. That looks familiar I thought... It must be the rocks on Albert Promenade in Halifax. Am I right?

We have been living in London for a year or so now but very nice to see wher I was born. I also have a leaning to Orange bikes as I visited their factory at their unit out past West Vale in about 1995. Don't know if I will ever afford even an old one but there you go.

Keep those pics coming!!

LOL wrong area. i live in Greetland, and the pics were all taken in Westvale by the river, i live 1 minute away up the hill from the Orange factory too.
I do know Albert promonard though, i do a bit of climbing there when i have not got alot of time on my hands, is an easy spot to just pop to and do some bouldering.

Well, not so far off! Could have been worse, I might have said Rochdale or somewhere over the border like that.

Copley isn't far away, must be some nice trails around there. I have come up Ripponden bank a few times on my road bike, great fun.

Best wishes. Rod

Back