strong 28 spoke wheels

Theory, theory, theory...

...Reality is if built well they will be FINE. Your townhilling exploits will be harder on rim sidewalls than much else.

Regarding choice of spokes, if there is a chance of the rim being flexier I'd actually gravitate to flexier butted spokes in the pursuit of resilience. In any case 28h isn't extreme enough to be overly frightened about.

I agree – the wheel builder is either the strongest or weakest fundamental link in the process. But in order to build something well, you need to understand the principles of why and how you are doing something.

The difference in strength between 32 and 36 is barely noticeable, in fact even between 36 and 28. Unless the thing is being used on the limit all the time, there will be no problem.

Not likely to shred the things to the max, although I do a lot of daily high mileage through London's rutted roads. Running some fat 2.2 Race Kings which do a fine job of soaking up the stresses. Probably 32/over is just silly. Need to see what hubs are available though...

Back