Stripping in the garden, but no cans

Imlach

98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
I haven't got any cans of paint stripper and I'd like to give paint stripping a go. I don't fancy sanding down the frame. Anyone know of an EU wide available paint stripper that actually works?

No British only varieties unless you intend on bringing it to my doorstep to watch me strip in the garden. This time with cans.

Thanks

It helps considerably if you wrap the frame/bits in cling film after applying any paint stripper. If it dries out it ceases to work well enough.

It helps considerably if you wrap the frame/bits in cling film after applying any paint stripper. If it dries out it ceases to work well enough.
Airtight, Roger that. What about temp, should it be left to do its thing in high temp or kept foolish?

I followed the forum advice and took my BJ & Kona frames to a pro to get blasted & powdercoated.
Very happy with the result.

If you find a decent bead blaster, they charge per minute, and quoted me around 10-12 minutes to strip my hardtail frame. cheaper than getting some paint stripper!

You can use one of those butane heat guns which plumbers use for soldering pipes along with a scraper and wire brush, wear a mask tho!

A lot of paint strippers available in the Eu were forced to remove the methylene chloride making them much less effective ..pfft!

One of the benefits of brexit means we can start using all these toxic chemicals again.. damn Eurocrats poking their noses in, trying to make us live longer, healthier lives... how dare they!

Very much agree with above....forget nitromore type stuff now, its crap without the nasty stuff in!

Dipping will remove powder, my cerakote guy dips before a light media blast, prior to coating.

It's still possible to buy methylene chloride (dicloromethane) from some model shops. Try searching for 'EMA Plastic Weld'.

As for stuff banned by the EU, it's the Sodium Chlorate I miss the most. You could spread some on a path or gravelled area, and it would totally knock out all plant growth for pretty much an entire season. I had to give up trying to do the same job with glyphosate, partly because it needed repeat applications, and partly because I think there are significant toxicity issues.

Back