strange

ST 4

Dale Rush, Rise, Prophet, Marin Frs, Spesh fsr, MC SA, O 5, O Patriot, these are all FS bikes I have had, ridden extensively and not really felt happy with.
I notice you say "HARDLY" any pedal feedback on your five? After a long day in the saddle, that will still tire you. The one thing in common thay all had was the weight and pedal feedback. I still go watch a fair bit of XC when I get chance and it's a fact the smaller lighter guys (that usually win or are up front) all still ride hard tails, no matter how much you spend cash or time wise in design, a hardtail will always be lighter and mechanically more efficient.
I'll explain, I'm only short and light in weight, so bike weight and feedback affect me much more than the bigger guy. I feel any bike over 24 pounds is heavy to me, I've been doing this for a while! As I'm 52 now and come from a fell running background and long distance background, so fitness was never an issue.
The current trend is still towards downhill fun and not long distance trail riding, I personally much prefer riding up hill to down hill. Our local trail centre does have a lot of nasty and un marked drops, rough sections and some NS, more are building these, I have some friends that live at the gate and this time of year its 2/3 helicopter medivacs a week with major crashes/broken bones/major bleeds with mtb'rs on the trails. The trails are really designed around FS.
I'm not crabbin FS just saying I've tried many and they don't suit me, if I was 13 stone plus and 5 foot eight or above I can see the advantage, but when I raced I was only 8 stone 4 pounds and 5 foot 5 in my stocking feet, to get fs to work, I had to set it up so soft, it was wallowy, its well known that fs doesn't suit lighter riders and most just don't make a mans bike small enough for me, I need a 25 inch max standover top tube height or I hit my nuts, so usually ride a 12 or 13 in ctc seat tubed bike. On most FS bikes apart from Spesh, they are just too tall.

Though rubbishing this bike because you are small is not really on, the engineering fine but not the bike and it's targeted style of riding for the person using it. Who just happens to be the average height of a male in the UK so the starting ground for its design.

Since you are the average height of a female, maybe you should be looking at those designed bikes?

Bike No I'm not rubbishing it

No I'm not rubbishing it, just doesn't suit me. If you look at the 2009 Orange Catalogue you will see the standover heights, even for the "Diva" versions are on the tall side. It's the pedal feed bike I just don't like though with SP designs and as I said earlier in the thread, if you wind the PP up, they behave like a hard tail anyways.
I have no reason to rubbish the design other than I just don't get on with them and I'm not on my own either. That's life, I could buy one tomorrow, but its no good if the ride doesn't suit. I paid a lot of money for Rush team with Carbon Lefty fork last year and it just didn't suit me either, its whatever floats your boat.

Re: Bike No I'm not rubbishing it

Wold Ranger":1z5a4vq1 said:
if you wind the PP up, they behave like a hard tail anyways.

? Well then... erm... The RP23 that comes as standard on the five has a switch for the propedal... on or .. well.. off. So when I'm out riding and need to go up a hill, I wind the propedal up by ..erm... flicking the switch to on.. therefore eliminating feedback (EXCEPT for square edged hits as its designed to, as with any decent fork with a lockout).

I fear you may be setting your suspension up wrong?

PP

Yep that's the little sucker on an RP23, Fusion, Manitou and RS have a more stepped degree of platform control (multiple clicks) No I know how to set them up alright, just not a fan.

Have to say I agree with World Ranger about modern Orange bikes. I'm 5' 3" and 8 1/2 stone and there isn't a current Orange bike that I can ride (and there hasn't been for a fair few years). Don't have the same anatomy as World Ranger but the principle of unpleaseant connections between toptube and body is the same!

Back