Stiffee HT vs Stumpy FSR. What would you do?

dadoc2001

Retro Newbie
Hey all,
Picked up a '07 Stumpy FSR comp recently. Pretty good condition, cleaned up well, fully working with recent shock/fork service and upgraded SLX 7000 brakes over Avid. Wanted a Stumpy for years!
Enjoyed the ride out on it. Smooth and pretty capable.
I also have my Stiffee FR I built up last year. But boy is it stiff and going over the rougher stuff it gives my butt a fair pounding! At the start of the year though I bought my first full sus - a Santa Cruz Blur 4x. This opened my eyes to the capabilities of full suspension bikes - where the Stiffee would bounce all over the place the 4x would glide! It came to the point I'd barely use the Stiffee for rides!

And now I have 3 with the Stumpjumper!

I'm keeping the 4x. So it's between the Stumpjumper and Stiffee. What would you choose? HT or FS? Appreciate they are two different type of bikes but was thinking Stumpjumper for XC and Blur 4x for AM. To be honest I think I now prefer maintaining and looking at my Stiffee rather than riding it 😂

However. Was thinking of swapping some of the Stiffee bits onto the Stumpjumper - primarily my Magura Laurin's with 130mm over the Fox 120mm and the Mavic 819/Hope Pro's rather than XT hubs. Then maybe the wider Easton bars and a slightly shorter stem. Then splitting the rest of the bike down and selling. But am I mad?

What would you do? I don't have space for the kids bikes and then 3 of my own 😂

Thanks in advance👍

Sounds like you've answered your own question. Feels like you've got a preference for the spesh. I bought a Klein once, it was such a nice bike to look at but it was bone shakingly stiff and I didn't enjoy riding it, but it was lovely to look at with its gator fade paint and turquoise ringle etc. But as it was not enjoyable to ride, it had to go. Your cove sounds similar.

I think the stiffee wil be one of those frames of the future. People will reminisce about how robust they were but forget about how harsh on the senses. Im also a full suss convert and my big stiffee feels so completely different that I think I'll be consigning that to wall duties, so with that notion in mind strip the stiffee down, store the frame for the kids in the future and stick to something more comfortable.

Thanks for the replies. You are right- Head (and body) is being ruled here by the heart. Daftly I'd never thought of splitting down and just keeping the frame. And if I swap the best bits I still have the core to rebuild should I want to!

This prob suits me best. Means I don't have to part with the frame I find aesthetically pleasing (easier to store too!). That and I had spent a while sourcing complementary coloured Hope headset and bottom bracket to suit.

Cheers!

To be honest I think I now prefer maintaining and looking at my Stiffee......

I too enjoy maintaining my stiffee... but getting back to bikes I'd keep the FSR for XC duties. Maybe even 'downcountry' it with some fatter tyres shorter stem etc, make it a fun trail bike. Keep the 4x for the gnarly stuff.

Back