STICKY:Piston

im not sure but mineral oil as far as im aware is non corrosive where as dot 4/5.1 isnt so good.

i wouldnt have thought its the best lubricant. if i had the enthusiasm and hadnt taken them to the shop i would have gone with copperslip!

its also a good trick to copperslip the faces of the pistons on the non plastic piston minis to reduce squeal.

dyna-ti":1oeu7jxu said:
Do you need the little spring clip when you take the pads out
ive seen it included with the mono but dont know what its for or how important it is[i dont have one :LOL: ]

The spring helps push the pads away from the rotor. You'll get more rubbing if you don't have it and the pads may even rattle a bit too.

Hope brakes use DOT5.1 and always have afaIk (you can use DOT4 but you have to completely flush out the old fluid before you re-fill with DOT4). Yes, I know the mechanical ones don't! :roll: :LOL: :LOL:

As far as lubing a sticky seal goes I use the same fluid that's in the brake to do it. If you use the wrong one it can react with the rubber seals and cause even more problems.

Someone once replaced the mineral oil in some Maguras with DOT4 and wondered why the seals started leaking after a couple of months. :roll: :roll:

I tried all the remedies suggested but to no avail :( ,.So I've popped it ,and a c2 into the LBS today.They reckon about £20 to strip service and replace that dodgy piston if necessary,not too expensive really

Then im selling the damn thing for a real disc brake ....
...Like another C2 :cool:

dyna-ti":1wo7vrxv said:
I tried all the remedies suggested but to no avail :( ,.So I've popped it ,and a c2 into the LBS today.They reckon about £20 to strip service and replace that dodgy piston if necessary,not too expensive really

Then im selling the damn thing for a real disc brake ....
...Like another C2 :cool:

pm me if your selling ;)

Back