STI Shifter Reassembly

lrh":2jck3opl said:
Interesting to see another variation on these. As far as I can tell the indicator is driven by the plastic pin (RED) plugging into the hole on the white plastic cable holder (BLUE).

I've highlighted one of the pawls in green... Do they rotate when you push the levers?

It looks like you've got decent access already to prod them with a screwdriver and spray lube on them. Removing them and doing a proper lube job looks tight without further dismantling... Not recommended if you're already bricking it!

Sweet - this is exactly what I needed - really simple once it's pointed out how the bloody thing works! I just needed to release the pawls by hand so they unwound the spring and then I was able to position the pins correctly to fit them back together.

I can confirm both shifters are now running like new!! ps. it helped by fitting them back onto bars so I had one end fixed so I could get some leverage.

Brilliant - thanks for this - life saver :D :D :D

lrh":k0h49qkh said:
Interesting to see another variation on these. As far as I can tell the indicator is driven by the plastic pin (RED) plugging into the hole on the white plastic cable holder (BLUE).

I've highlighted one of the pawls in green... Do they rotate when you push the levers?

It looks like you've got decent access already to prod them with a screwdriver and spray lube on them. Removing them and doing a proper lube job looks tight without further dismantling... Not recommended if you're already bricking it!

No to get at them you just release/shift to the end of the stroke and take the bottom casing off. Everything is then easily accessible.

mikee":2j54g89d said:
Ahhh right , so next ,what you do after you've removed the shifters from the levers is to get two bags
Mark one Lh and the other right hand , put the collection of little springs ,pressed parts and washers in the respective bags
Next take a hacksaw /milling machine to the brake levers and remove the shifter mounts
You will now have a perfectly functioning set of xt brake levers
Now the bags containing the shifters , put them in that drawer/old biscuit tin /tupperware box in the shed
And fix them later ,just like the watch strap ,rusty padlock, and the broken plastic toy that you got from the
Christmas cracker 3 years ago
Then buy some thumbies

Here to help

Mike
Been there,done that, :D That really did make me chuckle Mike.I thought I was mechanically competent but them things :shock: When asked by a mate .."I have very large hands and the components are very small" He shook his head and walked off grinning,,,I need to find some gullible friends ,,,and a pair of thumbie's :)
Thanks for "helping" ,,Me smile.
Mark.

I remember taking apart some XT M095 STI's back in the early 90's....took me the best part of all of the summer holidays to get them back together! I even remember dreaming about them! More by luck than knowledge I got them back together and working but vowed never to undo them again!...until recently when I thought I would "service" another pair...many hours/days of frustration and swearing followed but got them working too. But never ever, ever again! Just get a replacement IMO not worth the hassle and they are easy enough to come by.

Wook

This is one of those times when someone more knowledgable takes a sharp intake of breath through their teeth, then walks off shaking their head.
I've done it too! Old pair of DXs. My 95x pair seized, I drenched them in GT85, then put a light lube in through every opening I could find. Good as new.

just watch the dx ones with the white plastic cable cam
they seem to go fragile very quickly after spraying gt 85 in them
other oils might have the same effect

use vasaline instead

Back