Stem length / rise question

Joe_Rides

Senior Retro Guru
My Explosif is not quite as comfy as I would like it to be. It's too small, so already runs 60mm riser bars, with a 90mm thomson stem (15 degree rise I think).

I have got it close to a nice fit, the reach is fine, but I'm just getting a little wrist pain.

No scope to move the stem up as the fork steerer isn't long enough. So I'm thinking to try a stem with more rise.

Question: if I swapped to a 25 degree or 35 degree stem, will it reduce the reach? Eg, should I go for a 100mm length over a 90mm??

Cheers.

iimo, it’ll likely be a bit more comfy & feel less sketchy when descending at a good clip, but will look a lot more goofy. I’m kind of in the exact same boat you’re in atm, but I am going w/looks over comfort on mine. if that sounds shallow & impractical, probly because it is.

Yes it will reduce the reach - because of the rake of the head tube, higher means closer.
Whether that matters it quite another question - try it and then see if it's all wrong.

One of the problems is the 'falling over the bars' feeling, which can (counterintuitively) be improved by pushing the saddle back. This then takes your torso more into balance over your body. It might be worth a try, but you have already put a post with a fair bit of layback on it.

Have a play on this webpage

Cheers, will have a look.

iimo, it’ll likely be a bit more comfy & feel less sketchy when descending at a good clip, but will look a lot more goofy. I’m kind of in the exact same boat you’re in atm, but I am going w/looks over comfort on mine. if that sounds shallow & impractical, probly because it is.

When I put the bike together I was keen to use the right parts, and make it look half nice. But I've changed my mind now and just want to make it purely functional. Other than the minor issue with wrist pain, it's a comfy ride and handles fine for me. Plus I wanted a lot of seatpost on show as this will be running a very large saddlebag occasionally.

Yes it will reduce the reach - because of the rake of the head tube, higher means closer.
Whether that matters it quite another question - try it and then see if it's all wrong.

One of the problems is the 'falling over the bars' feeling, which can (counterintuitively) be improved by pushing the saddle back. This then takes your torso more into balance over your body. It might be worth a try, but you have already put a post with a fair bit of layback on it.

Cheers. Recently added the brooks cambium which, helpfully, has plenty of scope for moving forwards/backwards. For the ride last night I moved it forward 5mm but there is loads of room to go backwards to give me more reach.

Back