Steerer extenders

This problem can be worked around but might not be elegant.
Internal diameter of steerer tube is 25.4 so get some 25.4 steel tube with an internal diameter of 22.2mm.
Insert 25.4 tubing within 28.6 steerer but coat with copper grease if you want to be able to remove again as will be very tight fit. If satisfied with position, drill several holes through both tubes where they overlap (by this point you must be happy as removal will become impossible then pop rivet into position). Smooth external surface of pop rivet to close to flush with 28.6 mm tubes external surface with file so it does not snag bearing cups. At this point you can either join a fresh peice of 28.6 tubing tothe 25.4mm using the same method thus creating a long enough steerer or stay with 25.rmm and use a headset reducer and the top half of a 25.4mm headset.

Yes the above is a bodge, yes numerous voices will scream NOOOOOO!!!! do you not value your dentistry ? But it can be an over built bodge and if done right be every bit as strong if a little heavy. You can even sleeve in some 22.2mm tubing for added internal strength.

However would it not be simpler and less controversial to just get a replacement set of forks with the correct length of steerer. Further if it were Pace, Marzocchi or RST of a certain era you could just replace the clamped in steerer.

Velo the Bodgineer whose dentistry is already poor :LOL:

velomaniac":2422ybc1 said:
However would it not be simpler and less controversial to just get a replacement set of forks with the correct length of steerer.

Now Where's the fun in that? :LOL:

Ideally this problem wouldn't arise in the first place, but it has, so I'm looking for a bodge-less solution, which I thought I had, but I may need to do some "fine tuning" :)

Re:

Results...

Steerer O.D. = 28.6mm (ie. 1"1/:cool:

Steerer I.D. = 24.8mm

Extender O.D. = 25.4MM (ie 1")

So 0.6mm diameter difference between inside of steerer and outside of extender.
Which is not a lot when you look at the thickness of the aluminium extender, it'd be quite easy to remove the excess (if you had a lathe etc). Could file it off, but it'd be laborious, and probably uneven.

Will make enquiries tomorrow about pressing out the steerer.

Re:

Problem solved, took it to a local engineering shop who turned it down to 24.75mm, leaving 40mm at one end to sit atop the steerer, which is plenty for this build :)

Attachments

• DSC_0654-506x897.JPG
    DSC_0654-506x897.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 133
velomaniac":1q2rg0ik said:
Did he reduce the diameter of the wedge aswell ?

No, but the wedge was a smaller diameter than the rest of it already. I did measure it the other day but forgot to note down the size.
I have tried the extender in the fork steerer and it fits like a glove :)

Good work!

Earlier I measured one of my 28.6mm quill stems and it was 28.5ish (OD), but the fork was 27.5 (ID) - go figure!

Back