Steel in the peleton shocker

But it stills looks crap, like any other modern sloping top tube frame with oversize tubing, underneath the paint it might as well be carbon etc. And it's got carbon forks, so only half the "frame" (frame and forks) is steel.

Yeah, by modern standards 1.6-1.7kg for a 54cm is just feeble, it's not much lighter than 30 year old 753 frames.

David B":27w5h4ws said:
NeilM":27w5h4ws said:
The design guys at Genesis have been working very closely with Reynolds to get the stiffness they need at a weight that's acceptable.

It's fairly exotic stuff they're working with, too - as well as 953 (martensitic aging stainless) there's another new stainless tubeset called 931 which is precipitation-hardening steel. I used to work in a lab that analysed those kinds of alloys - quite demanding specs!

David

The training bikes they have are all in 931 with 953 for the race bikes.

I think it's a bold move by a professional road team. Promoting a brand is one thing, but doing it in International competition could backfire horribly, unless the team can rack up top results on a regular basis.

If they can get the bike to the UCI 6.8kg limit, who's worried where the weight is? The fat tubes probably mean that's gonna be a fairly firm ride - think I'd prefer something skinnier with a bit more zing.

Seems they want the stiffness though.

For us 'zing' maybe equates to a bit of comfort but to the pros it probably means the loss of half a watt of power.

Back