Sram 9.0 f/m, bad design!

No probs - just drop a reply on here & maybe it'll work out on sizing! I got the same Sachs mech (Quartz IIRC) back in '98 to replace the awful Tourney the bike came with as standard, because I didn't want the 'same old' Shimano back then either! :LOL:

Re:

Will do!

I ended up with an XT one one the other bike that I had this problem with
The shame! :facepalm:

Re:

It is very slightly tapered, from around 50mm up from the bottom bracket shell. Hard to tell with normal tape measure, and I don't have the verniers to hand, but at a guess I'd say the taper is around 2mm total.
There is also a roller for the front mech in the lower section! :facepalm:

Mike

Re:

Okay, and it's definitely 28.6mm? What size chainring (max) are you using? I might be able to check a few things out on another frame I've got that's Tange tubing with a similar flare. The Sachs mech I have is dual pull, so no issues on cabling.. ;)

Re:

I think fom memory it's a 44. Will check this morning, along with accurate tube sizes :roll:

Mike

Re:

Ok, so it's going to be the M737 front mech on this build! :facepalm: :evil:
The bottom of the seat tube is ovalised, 33.6 across the width of the shell and 28.6 the other way. So no mech is designed to fit that sort of tube.

Anyone want a Sram mech for a bike with a single bottle cage?

Mike

Re:

It's a Range bulge butted seattube, it came in to replace the ovalized tubing that came before it. So is of the higher quality, normally Tange Concept but other tubing groups may have used it as well.

Given it has the wheel at the back, placing it in the circa 92/93 era there would only have been traditional mech (conventional/bottom swing) as Top-Swing did not come till the XTR M950 1996 mechs came out. So why would anyone design it for such a mech that was not around ;-)
It was basically Suntour, Shimano at the time or Campag and maybe Sachs if you really tried hard.

Top-Pull mechs where around but the wheel gave you choice for the more common bottom-pull. That it it was a 1992 model frame and it'll have been design before Shimano release their top-pull to market in 1992 models.

Or it just some old tech in a later frame.

Re:

Just look at the pic again, that one of the Saracen Specials?*
Many flooded on eBay a while back,has nice ritchey dropouts circa mid to late 90s (cowled?) And lovely detail in the cable stop on the top tube?

* In true Saracen style, 97/8ish off th th record frame from part left in a bucket from year gone by. Based around the Kili.

Re:

Cheers FC

We can always rely on you for in depth knowledge
You're up early too, dawn chorus? ;)

Mike

Back