Splitting the road section into a separate site??

Splitting the road section into a separate site??

• Yes

Votes: 22 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 122 79.2%
  • Don't Care

Votes: 10 6.5%

• Total voters
I was all for keeping the lot together, but the last time I rode or looked at an off road bike was 1996! So maybe a split is in to my benefit...

Re:

I like it as it is as dyslexic the way I remember stuff if how it is set out on my early visits! Memory plays a big part with it, so like any change I find hard as have to train I often just loose interest as it becomes a pain so I drop out, this site has re instated my love of all things biking, I might not get out as much as I would like due to work, but this site just feels as I'm on one of my bikes and after a crap day ( many) this just sort of let's me drift of from the crap so I would miss it if it changed.
Thanks Papillon.

Re: Re:

Papillon":44n8oao6 said:
I like it as it is as dyslexic the way I remember stuff if how it is set out on my early visits! Memory plays a big part with it, so like any change I find hard as have to train I often just loose interest as it becomes a pain so I drop out, this site has re instated my love of all things biking, I might not get out as much as I would like due to work, but this site just feels as I'm on one of my bikes and after a crap day ( many) this just sort of let's me drift of from the crap so I would miss it if it changed.
Thanks Papillon.

Brilliant summary - I agree

Always hated the 'Roadies' discrimination back in the day.
I started with road bikes, got into MTB as it was more 'fun' and had an easily accesible racing scene.
Now I do not own an MTB and am a proper old roadie with the knees to prove it!

Keep it together. Hopefully some younger person on here with a 1999 Trek built Klein looking for a rear mech will stumble on the road section, have a nose about and get interested in these funny bikes with glued on tyres and sidepull brakes.
Then maybe he will read a bit about the riders and open the door and a while new branch to his enjoyment of the hobby/sport/perversion we call cycling.

Re:

I honestly believe the road side is growing at the expense of the MTB, so possibly a separate site could benefit.
I've noticed a lot of members who posted frequently on the MTB are doing less so now, but more so on the road? Seems that way anyway.

Re:

A new road site would allow for new logo and maybe new merchandise?

I feel as if the road section could do with some space to grow.

I think you could have vintage, classic, fixed gear, touring, CX, modern etc subsections.

Don't get me wrong I think retrobike is great as it is but I can see the logic of having another site.

Theoretically you could keep RB as it is but just have a new road site anyway.

Must admit I think the next couple of years are going to be interest I g for the site. Interest in road biking seems stronger than ever and is still growing - perhaps the sites should be split to capitalise on It?

Re:

I was previously a "don't know" on this topic but now on balance can see the merits of a separate site with the road stuff broken down a bit more into categories by era plus sections for touring, CX, etc.

Also, at times being road-orientated does make you feel somewhat on the margins of RB given the tendency of remarks in parts of the General & Off Topic Forum to fall back on the tired, clapped-out old "MTB=good, road=bad" sweeping generalisations (just as flawed in its way as Mail/Express journos assuming we all ride through traffic lights on red).

Just my 2p worth anyroad.

David

Re:

As a mountain biker dabbling with the black stuff, I really like the crossover on the site. It's definitely allowed me to get more involved in the road side just by virtue of it being on hand and having a few friendly faces present.

I do think it could benefit from an increased sense of it's own identity within RetroBike though.

Re: Re:

Wold Ranger":3plhnbwn said:
I honestly believe the road side is growing at the expense of the MTB, so possibly a separate site could benefit.
I've noticed a lot of members who posted frequently on the MTB are doing less so now, but more so on the road? Seems that way anyway.

Funny that, but I have remarked some usual members on the road section are posting up
on the MTB section! The cross-over is brilliant I find; the techy part of the MTB side is
all good learning stuff and arguably more interesting since there was heavy development, but
credit must be given to the few stalwarts on the road section who really really do know a
lot of history and contribute with amazing stories. The quality of the rBoTM is fantastic and the
attention to detail is astounding which usually only shines through on a handful of MTB builds.

Back