Specialized Crux 2015

MartinB123

Senior Retro Guru
I saw this for sale over the weekend and knew I had to get it.

My favourite bike was an older Crux but was slightly too small so this being the next size up should be spot on!

I was partway through upgrading/rebuilding my Cinelli Zydeco so the parts will be kept for this one and the 9s Sora groupset, wheels and brakes will go on the Zydeco and it will be sold :/

Pic attached of how I bought it - absolutely original spec.

Attachments

• IMG_20240304_112942.jpg
    IMG_20240304_112942.jpg
    878.4 KB · Views: 25
So the Cinelli sold today and it's full steam ahead on this build now. Got a few bits on which I'll update with pictures when I get a minute. Awaiting some bb30 to 24mm axle adaptors for a crank I'm fitting as well. Can't wait to get it finished!

Bit of a material update now, with a picture...

Crankset on now along with the rest of the drive train. New brake lines fitted to the calipers and just dropped off at my LBS to set up the brakes along with new pads.

Then I think it's just a matter of setting up the position of the shifters and re-wrapping the bars and hoping I can get a second life out of my Lezyne tape!

Attachments

• IMG_20240320_135238.jpg
    IMG_20240320_135238.jpg
    1,017.5 KB · Views: 17
Nice.

A while ago someone very close to me at the time had a canti version. It was her favourite ( and very light) bike but had been retired from racing owing to the rear cable exit/ adjuster from the frame having broken off (again), the lacquer peeling as well. I took on the not inconsiderable task of reviving it. Picked up as a box of bits and said frameset.
Another friend very generously bonded in a new adjuster for me for free, whilst another, a car body repair/sprayer offered to re-lacquer the frame if I prepped it. Lots of missing shiny stuff that I used a sharp knife along with wet and dry paper to tidy up as much as I could. That took some time but once that and the re-finish was done, I started to build it back up. It was the best restoration I'd done I think. When she came to pick it up, she was so pleased and we went riding together in the local park. It's back to being her number one bike when conditions allow.
Here's a few photos of it before and after. Wish I'd taken more at the time. There's also a video of the bike - minus wheels - but can't seem to upload that. Anyway, sorry for wittering on. Just a short novel, reminded by your thread

Mike

Attachments

• received_294205835244175.jpeg
    received_294205835244175.jpeg
    152.8 KB · Views: 7
@Mike Muz looks like a great job you did there. My old Canti crux (alloy) was so good. Hopefully this new one is as good!

Got it back on Friday, brakes all set up. Just need to re-wrap the bars and i'll take it for a spin :)

oh, bought a Ridley Crossbow too...

An X-Bow was my first proper race bike, also canti, and a great bike!

Good luck with the tape mate

Mike

Took out for a quick spin locally to make sure everything is working and it sure is!

Front mech could do with a little adjusting (apparently 6800 front mechs are a bit challenging!) but other than that it's good to go. Oh, I swapped cranks to an ultegra pair to match the rest of the group 😁

Attachments

• IMG_20240401_170547.jpg
    IMG_20240401_170547.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20240401_170556.jpg
    IMG_20240401_170556.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
Back