Spd pedals (loving them)

I can't get how people can ride crazy stuff on flats, obviously they do and do it fine, but having not ridden flats (much) since '93, not being on spd's just feels wrong. I tend to just jump off the bike over doing anything remotely usefull. I used to be fine on flats back in young days of BMX and early mtb's, but it's spd's for me.

T'boo Ted":2ry9r979 said:
I can't get how people can ride crazy stuff on flats

Strangely I could quite consistently bunnyhop about half a foot higher with flats vs SPD's, although I had no idea why.
Basically if my saddle was down I preferred flats, if my saddle was up I preferred SPD's. It's so confusing now with these new fangled dropped posts :LOL:

Probably should have said "now". I too used to be able to bunnyhop much better (higher, farther) with flats, but it's been so long i can't even keep feet on pedals and can't comprehend how people do it (As in my brain jsut goes "no that don't work").

But then again, I can't bunnyhop that well no matter what I'm on nowdays...

Yeah don't worry I understand, I was also using the past tense, I probably struggle to hop half a foot total nowadays!
As I remember it getting grip on flatties for jumping etc is all about pointing the toe down and then forcing them on the pedal by pushing horizontally between feet and handlebars, again something I'd find easier to say than do nowadays.

So, those of you saying that you've been on SPDs for so long that you can't ride flats anymore - is there nothing in your head that thinks this might be a problem!? That you're using being clipped in as a mask for skills deficiencies and that maybe spending a couple of weeks a year back on flat pedals might be a good idea? Just saying... ;-)

gradeAfailure":92u60epc said:
So, those of you saying that you've been on SPDs for so long that you can't ride flats anymore - is there nothing in your head that thinks this might be a problem!? That you're using being clipped in as a mask for skills deficiencies and that maybe spending a couple of weeks a year back on flat pedals might be a good idea? Just saying... ;-)
not really. There's no downside to using spds. And I have no skills shortage for the riding i do. Which whilst generally wheels on the ground, still includes a lot of DH tracks. On an xc hardtail......

gradeAfailure":314x9sbl said:

blah blah bah blah... care factor zero

Back