Spd pedals (loving them)

!!!!SPOILER ALERT!!!

One day you may discover brakes* that actually stop you, day in day out, wet or dry with no straddle wire faffing.

*(Hydraulic disc brakes, or hydroelectric brakes as one ebay seller named them, :facepalm:) makes a change from hydronic, whetever that is)

Re:

Always used spd pedals. As previously mentioned, good for efficient pedalling. Also just the words 'bear trap' and 'shins' makes me wince! Then again, so do some bike builds on here!

:LOL:

I've already discovered them, they're called vee brakes. Apparently, they even work if the front one is operated from a lever on the right side handlebar!

Too modernish for some though, bikes and peepul!

Moike

Re: Re:

gradeAfailure":1mylsa7k said:
James Wilson":1mylsa7k said:
That is what most of us have been told.
Only if you were last listening 15 years ago. The pulling up on the pedal was thoroughly debunked on a fairly regular basis throughout the late 90's and early noughties.

I'd not fancy a flat out, max effort sprint to the line (or from the line) on flats personally, which is where they are useful, for a few seconds every now and again..... which is why they are still in use. Because stuff.

Not because you pull up all the time.

Re:

For me, it feels right. I'm definitely smoother. As in less sideways movement from the bike and me.
Having said that, I'm talking about road riding. Not given it any thought for my off-road rides.
I'll get back to you :roll:

Mike

hmmm, ive got one bike with flats that I took out today (bikes is temporary as will be up for sale hence not bothereing with proper pedals) and I simply struggle to ride it. setting off is difficult, with spd I pull up the rh crank and away ago, for obvious reasons I can't do that with flats so spend a few seconds getting the pedal in the right place.

with spd my feet are in the same place and in the right place (ball of foot above the axle); with flats they are not and the position changes and I can feel strain in my legs as I pedal.

I should point out using flats is something I've not done as a small child; my mtb pedals were those with clips so they did a better of job of positioning my feet in the same location.

sorry peeps, but don't like flats.

Re:

I have been riding SPD for 10+ years, this year I went to SPD-SL. Wow, what a difference, sooo much better. The pedal power is a lot smoother. You can see this on rollers as the belt doesn't pulse and vibrate. Still, shite in mud - you can't have it all.

SP

Re: Re:

Splatter Paint":3nilej0o said:
I have been riding SPD for 10+ years, this year I went to SPD-SL. Wow, what a difference, sooo much better. The pedal power is a lot smoother. You can see this on rollers as the belt doesn't pulse and vibrate. Still, shite in mud - you can't have it all.

SP
I didn't know anybody actually used SPD-SL for offroad stuff. Trying to walk/run off road might be a bit tough. I'm probably going to go from SPD-SL to SPD on my road bike as I find I have to dismount a lot at the moment and I nearly fell down some steps the other day - I find the un-retro later style SPD cleats with spring tention on max is still pretty direct.

Back