South Yorkshire

i understnd the why's but it all seems a little silly to me.

not looking for an argument si but in your post you mention "in future" and "from now on" which is it? if it isnt yet then there's an opportunity for mkeekim to organise something

is it not possible to highlight the "official" retrobike sanctioned rides and have a disclaimer clearly stating that anything other than this has nothing to do with the site? i can't see how a claim against "retrobike" (or would it be John personally?) could stand up in court if it clearly stated that non official rides are at own risk.

it woud be a real shame if we can no longer use the area group forums to arrange local rides.

i might start using codes! from now on if i invite you to "breakfast", you know what to bring.

lets push bike riding underground!

I can see the demise of area groups in all this, and the start of alternate sites to arrange things :(

I can still see big events happening though as the lone AEC plod on in a world gone mad and hat's of to Dr S, sad that things like this come up in to days world where people cannot decide or take responsibility for themselves.

In the years (many many years) of being parts of boards etc I have never seen this have to happen.

Yes ok, if racing under the 'banner' as that is an official team or National Events as they are 'official' sanctioned stuff
But un-official stuff, that is just bonkers.
Heck there is a disclaimer that the site has no responsibility for thing happening on here and we'll have official Sales Acts soon at this rate. (it's all just the same)

This board is getting too big and to official

But John et al has to watch their backs so they should do as they need.

I can see that is me out of organising anything though, not my sort of thing.

off to pootle in my own little world on my own now ;)

Dave, We still off for a pub lunch down in Lincoln at the weekend ;)

Lewis":1icuot37 said:
not looking for an argument si but in your post you mention "in future" and "from now on" which is it? if it isnt yet then there's an opportunity for mkeekim to organise something

'In the Future'? The future is just that, a thing that happens from now onwards.

'From now on' is just that, a thing that happens from now onwards.

They are both the same. I can re-word the post if you like but I'd rather not.

I know where you are coming from guys and I do agree with you by and large. But this is a big site now and the rides are getting bigger. What is there to stop someone coming along and exploiting the site and it's owners by having an 'accident' just like people 'fall into a pothole' and claim against an employer or the local council??

I enjoy putting on the rides and meeting and riding with folk on here but if that puts me at risk of being sued then it's time to hand over to someone else!

Since I heard this was the way we were going now I have looked into liability issues and the law, even had a chat with my own solicitor. To be Frank, the possibilities are pretty frightening. For John and Mark to cut through this bullshit and to continue to back the rides we should be grateful that we are only going to have to sign a register. I really think they deserve our support on this one.

Dr S":vvm1ey3e said:
I know where you are coming from guys and I do agree with you by and large. But this is a big site now and the rides are getting bigger. What is there to stop someone coming along and exploiting the site and it's owners by having an 'accident' just like people 'fall into a pothole' and claim against an employer or the local council??

I enjoy putting on the rides and meeting and riding with folk on here but if that puts me at risk of being sued then it's time to hand over to someone else!

Since I heard this was the way we were going now I have looked into liability issues and the law, even had a chat with my own solicitor. To be Frank, the possibilities are pretty frightening. For John and Mark to cut through this bullshit and to continue to back the rides we should be grateful that we are only going to have to sign a register. I really think they deserve our support on this one.

As a side, but none the less interlinked.
What the stance on 'minors' at events. (i.e. children under 18 I guess)

A good question Ben and one I cannot really answer. I do know that our local motorclub had to appoint and train a child safety officer who had to go through all the Enhanced Disclosure Checks etc. just to ensure none of the 16 and 17 year olds in the club were getting fiddled with on night rallies :roll:

I guess most youngsters would be at a ride or event with a parent or guardian as most rides take place away in the wilds and therefore would need to be driven there.

It could do with looking into though.

Back