Some tech questions about rear wheel...

hmm . . . not sure, most shimano 8/9 speed free hub bodies will take 8 or 9 but it's the hub you have which makes me question it.

i would just nip into the garage and stick a 9spped cassette on my m900 but it's not the same hub so it wouldn't be much use.

if the cassette IS moving on the free hub body but the lock ring IS tight then the other 8 sprockets will move a little, check that, this happened when i got the m900 hubs because i had forgotton about the spacer issue.

I think realised, the thing the cassette slides on has some movement in itself, even before I slide the cassette on.

take the hub appart, check the cones, remove the freehub body, clean and grease it all then reassemble it.

when i got my 2nd hand m900 hubs they had at sompoint been upgraded with ti axles but whoever did it removed the freehub body and didn't then retighten it enough, it caused a similar problem to what you are talking about. on my hub the freehub body was ok just not tight enough making it feel as though the hub was loose but not the cones, i had at the same time the spacer issue aswel!! sweet now though. :D

M900 needs uses a different freehub to M950

M900 was not designed with 11tooth in mind, M950 was.

Hence why M900 sometimes needs a thin spacer to get it to not rattle.

Emoco":3t28ssw3 said:
I think realised, the thing the cassette slides on has some movement in itself, even before I slide the cassette on.
If it's just a very small side to side pivitol type movement, don't worry.
Been seen as you can do it by hand without a cassette on it sound wrong.

Things to check

Take axle out, then on the drive side using a 10mm allen key in the axle hole remove the free hub. Clean it all up and put it back on. See if it still happens.

If it does it may be worn (a not may have come loose and a LBS may have the tools to tighten it) but I think these things tend to just wear out and you buy a new one. Though you may find a whole hub is cheaper than the damn freewheel :roll: :cry: So if it's not too much of a problem just use it.

Doh! Should read the last reply first
:LOL:

Back