SOLD - 1961 Dawes Dalesman 531 Touring Bike - 55 cm £85

PeterPerfect

Senior Retro Guru
I'm selling my 1961 Dawes Dalesman men's touring bike.

Seat tube 55 cm CTC.
Top tube 57 cm CTC.
Head tube 14 cm CTC.
Stand height 82 cm.

It is a lovely old bike, alas I'm moving soon and won't have a garage anymore so I have to go down to just the one bike so this has to go.

It is currently set up as a 10 speed tourer with a Williams double chain set. The left pedal is a bit stiff but they are original so I have left well alone. It came new with a 5 speed set up and I still have the original 5 speed Williams chain set and the 5 speed Benelux shifter. It has a vintage Huret rear mech that is very much like the original Benelux one in operation and appearance.

Comes with long mudguards (not the originals) but a really good fit, they look the part and don't rattle like the old ones use to!

The saddle is a wonderful old brown leather Ideale that has stood the test of time and has a wonderful patina. (One very similar to this sold for £55 on Flea bay very recently). One of the saddlebag clips on the back has been lost (happened a long time ago).

The lugs are particularly nice on this even though the paint is quite tatty there is no rust to it and no dents.

Weinmann brakes that were marketed specifically for this model. ITM bars and comes with some lovely old brown Brooks leather bar tape.

All in all a wonderful bike and it's quick as well.

The wheels which are 27 x 1 1/4 are the only thing that lets it down. The front although in good condition is slightly later and not the original. The rear however is and both are straight, the hubs are fine. Comes with nearly new tyres. Will need new cables throughout but they all work.

The rear mech is modern one that I would not keep on it but I will leave it as it is for the sale.

I will post some pictures tomorrow afternoon all being well.

Comes with a rear rack and handlebar bottle holder.

Restored this would be a real looker.

These are very rare. Dawes made this as the Dalesman prior to Claud
Butlers version of the touring bike.

Comes with a host of spares as well. Includes:

5 Speed Williams chain set with original cups and bottom bracket. Weinmann brakes and new genuine brake blocks. Weinmann levers for straight and drop bars. Also included are a nice pair of first generation Shimano 600 drilled levers. Chains, bearings, headset fixings, bottle holder, everything you see in the pictures is included in the sale.

Collection from the GL5 area of Stroud, Gloucestershire.

£85 collected. Sorry but I won't post it.

Photos:

http://s1174.photobucket.com/user/pete1 ... 20Dalesman

http://s1174.photobucket.com/user/pete1 ... 20Dalesman

Attachments

• IMG_0691 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0691 (Small).JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 1,390
Back