Singlespeed Epiphany

BOTM SS would be a great idea!

I only have 1 SS, I used to ride it offroad but the frame and fork are so stiff I put slicks on it and use it as my roadie. I used to come home from the local tracks on it with jarred wrists and the likes!

If I lived in a hilly area I wouldn't consider a SS though...

suburbanreuben":27q2e2b3 said:
Trouble is, in my quest for simplicity, it's a short step from;
one bike with gears, three without >
four bikes without gears >
one bike, no gears

If simplicity is driving you in this, consider a Rohloff-geared bike... Simple and maintenance free, and best of all: no chain-slap, so fairly quiet

Cheers, giel

I went over about two years ago and built up a SS hack on a 1999 Cindercone frame.
By ditching all that gear stuff you get a hefty weight saving, which helps. As you have to get out of the saddle on the bigger hills, I went back to a rigid fork. The end result is a 21lb bike, so we are in road bike territory even with knobbly tyres.

It has made me stronger and more determined both in climbing and cornering. SS means that speed is hard to win, and so has made me corner faster.

Frankly it's surprising how much you can do. It forces you to improve your technique, but it's nice to be able to outclimb the guys on the full suss bikes.

Of course it's slower over mixed country, especially with long fast downhill sections. But it's not as much slower than you would think!

That hack went to being my favourite bike and main ride.

You can't be lazy around the corner, knowing you can use your gears to accelerate quickly; you cant be a nancy on the downs, since if you're not at warp factor 5 at the bottom of the hill you'll be walking most of it.
You have to carry your speed as much as possible to maintain a fair lick.
You have to ride smarter. ;)

suburbanreuben":2qegu2l1 said:
You can't be lazy around the corner, knowing you can use your gears to accelerate quickly; you cant be a nancy on the downs, since if you're not at warp factor 5 at the bottom of the hill you'll be walking most of it.
You have to carry your speed as much as possible to maintain a fair lick.
You have to ride smarter. ;)

Thanks for summing up exactly what I was trying to say. You have to work hard all the time - either pedalling or trying to conserve momentum by fast, smooth cornering.

I spin out at 22mph with a 2:1 ratio - so once over that it's only gravity to get faster.

Back