Singles Ad - Lonely Fork seeks Frame

BiketoBasics

Dirt Disciple
I picked up a modern fork (used) a few months ago for a Surly Pack Rat. It is a threadless type fork built for a 26" wheel and I wanted to mate it up to an older mountain bike frame. I was told any mountain bike frame should do as long as it has provisions for a 1" headset. I like the fork and I'd fit a large front rack on it for carrying things (it's designed to facilitate this mode). I have 12" of steerer showing, which is good considering I take an XL bike.

Anyone try mating up a newer fork like this to an older mountain frame?

I did this with a Surly 1X fork and a Rocky Mountain Hammer frame a few years ago. That was a 1 1/8th fork though. I'm surprised they're making a 1" steerer fork. I don't see why it wouldn't work if its the right length and you can find the right stem and headset.

I think I did err. The fork steerer is 1-1/8" and thus the headtube on the frame needs to be too. Older mountain bike frames don't seem to have 1-1/8" head tube too often(?). From what I understand they are usually an inch. I'm not familiar with the new threadless systems yet. Apparently there are a lot af angle compatibilities needed in order to produce a proper fit. The only frame I know of that used a 1-1/8" headset is a Diamondback Ascent, and perhaps that series of DB's.

Is there a list someplace of mountain bike frames which have 1-1/8" headsets?

By about 1994-95 most frames had moved to 1 1/8.

Not aware of any lists. Might be better to get an idea of the sort of brand you are looking for and then assume experts might be able to help.

Perhaps stick a post up in the wanted section

Back