Single speed free wheel question .

When I was a lad (a very long time ago now) my first pair of sprints were Constrictor rims on Harden double fixed hubs. A very desirable pair of wheels nowadays if only I'd had a crystal ball back then. I used a 5 speed Regina freewheel on the large diameter threads - but not for long. They did start to strip with the forces I was applying (don't laugh to much please) but - and my memory is a bit vague on this - I think I managed to retrieve the situation by very carefully screwing a fixed sprocket back on. I was probably very lucky. Can't for the life of me remember where they ended up!

Re:

Back in 1949 I used a cyclo 5 speed freewheel on a double fixed alloy hub with no real problems. The Cyclo large cog screwed against a shoulder on the inside, and the threaded interior was much deeper than Regina, where most used a left hand thread for the low gears.
The regina being shallower probably did not use all the (few) threads as the inside of the body would be against the end of the hub.

Keith

Re:

So subject to the make of the block, I could run say a 3 speed cyclo free wheel on a fixed gear hub?

Back in the early 1960s I used a three-speed block (I can't remember the make) on a fixed threading for a while, although I felt uneasy about the unsupported thread of the block (maths lessons at school had alerted me about 'moments' and 'forces' – although I have now forgotten the details).

I soon found another hub with a single freewheel threading on a wheel at the council tip, and built another wheel. Back in the early 60s the council tip was a great source of parts for an impoverished schoolboy wanting to build bikes!

Cefnbikie":2ptcpnd6 said:
BI soon found another hub with a single freewheel threading on a wheel at the council tip, and built another wheel. Back in the early 60s the council tip was a great source of parts for an impoverished schoolboy wanting to build bikes!

It now goes on e bay and folk pay good money for it. :shock:

Back