Single Malt Whisky .....Help...which one !!

Re: Re:

ernie":c7udlapv said:
He went on about skye...so that seems a good start
Ah! That leaves an obvious and very special choice! Talisker.
That would resonate emotionally as well as being an excellent whisky in itself.
Only question left is how much to spend, but that is a personal choice.

The giving of such a gift always minds me of one event of my younger life. I had a Californian girlfriend once upon a time, whose father was American Navy. He had been dry for over twenty years, and one of his prized possessions was a bottle of twenty year old malt, given to him by his Scottish brother in law on the event of my girlfriend's birth. To wet the baby's head. Naturally, he never drunk it.

Roll on twenty years and this was now a forty year old malt, though twenty in the bottle.

His brother in law now produces a baby girl, and what would be a most special and appropriate gift? Yes, the prized bottle of malt.

So, they prepared to set off to visit the relations and make the gift of this whisky, which Kenny will be able to enjoy and genuinely wet the baby's head.

This is how it was supposed to go, but the night before leaving my girlfriend is distraught.

That bottle of forty year old whisky is now actually a mix of tea and such, blended together by her and her friends after they polished it off on her eighteenth birthday two years before! Total panic stations!

We rushed around looking for an old bottle of malt to replace the ditchwater, and settled on an eighteen year old my father had stashed near full. Job done, and all set for the uncorking.

I waited with baited breath for the phone call to confirm all had gone well on the event, and was surprised when she told me she had told them on their train journey rather than risk her uncle sussing, as he was quite the whisky man.

They ended up laughing about it and Kenny wet the baby's head with my dad's malt.

My dad enjoyed a bottle of 1/8th 18 year old malt mixed with a cheap blend at some point, and I never heard him mention it. Seems time to mention it to him!

firedfromthecircus":1x7ekg24 said:
Shame on you for not saying Glenkinchie!

:LOL:

Good one!! In fact I'm not sure I have ever tried it - daft when it's only 5 miles down the road. I think a distillery trip is in order.

Also depends on your budget Ernie.

Macalllan is excellent smooth and found at reasonable prices. I also think Aberlour is very good again middle of the road and sometimes under £20 a bottle.

Basic rul of thumb is the proper fire water is the left side of the country. I keep a bottle of and Ardbeg for the "all whiskey taste the same" drinkers. It's really nice but almost like chewing a used cigar ;)... Not for the faint hearted.

Dalwhinnie is known as the ladies whiskey as it's just too easy to drink.

Talisman was my west coast favourite but has now been piped by Oban which is a bit less marketed.

Balvennie double wood is nice but a little sweet so I don't normally have more than a couple in an evening.

Truth is there are not really bad ones. If you want to really impress. Just walk into any specialst little wine stor and DONT buy anything you get in tesco. The big names are all good but are marketed hard mainly by Diego. Hence why they are in tesco and duty free.

Good luck

dablk":xa4ux7fx said:
Macalllan is excellent smooth and found at reasonable prices. I also think Aberlour is very good again middle of the road and sometimes under £20 a bottle.

Basic rul of thumb is the proper fire water is the left side of the country.

Which of course would not include Macallan..

It really is a matter of opinion, but there are many great malts and indeed blends found in the historic home of scotch whisky, the east.

Latest posts

Back