Single Malt Whisky .....Help...which one !!

In my not so considerable experience Dalwhinnie is a great starter whisky for people who think they may not like whisky. I would also second the vote for the Macallan though.

If you want something completely off the wall, try the Belgian Owl whisky:

http://www.belgianwhisky.com/en/product ... ts_11.html

Hoot with derision (snrk) if you like, but it won awards beating some of the finest Scotch whiskies in 2015.

They sell early releases of whiskies that have just been maturing for a couple of years. I've tried a couple of those and they are quite interesting.

Generally, if your mate is really into whiskies, he will appreciate something he's never tried before. If there's a branch of the Whisky Shop near you, go in there. They often have stuff you can't find elsewhere.

Wow! I didn't realise the 2015 awards were done with already.

No one is suggesting the Belgians can't make a damn fine whisky, but where is the romance?

Yep, the Distillery is not exactly romantic - an old still on wheels in a shed on the outskirts of Liege. But I suppose it seems they know what they're doing.

Logical in a way, since whisky is sort of just distilled beer in the end, no?

Re:

I have something very special waiting for the end of the month...

A few years back, the Glenfiddich distillery warehouse roof collapsed due to snow. Some bright spark bottled up the exposed casks as a limited release, and marketed it off as Snow Phoenix (http://www.glenfiddich.com/uk/collectio ... w-phoenix/). Mugs like me were suckered in. I bought two bottles at the time, and drank one (not by myself) when my daughter was born. Number 2 bambino is due on 18th February, so the second bottle will be getting opened in less than a fortnight. Yum!

Re: Re:

highlandsflyer":11dyazol said:
Germans tend to be extremely well versed on whisky, as well as wine and beer.

I have some sailing friends who import whisky in Germany, and am amazed at their ability to put it away tour after tour as I drive them from one charter to the next.

If you know which area your friend was touring when he fell in love with the malts it would be a good start.

Cheers H F..

He went on about skye...so that seems a good start

Cheers bud ;)
Ernie ;)

Back