Since my other thread got deleted - Gary Fisher Aquila 97 update

Tricky1977

Marin Fan
Feedback
View
Just today’s updates, no idea where the original thread went (edit, damn hackers).

Edit: original post was covering the fact the bike was found advertised for £5 on someone’s front lawn. Wasn’t expecting True Temper triple butted tubing, Mavic Crosseide wheels and sweet handling 👌
This is now my “daily”, I’m not a big rider just shops and the odd short blast. The Ritchey Comp saddle was one of mine.

So today I fitted some new to me very swish LX/Mavic 221 wheels from Le Grand Fromage, some lovely X lite stubby bar ends I’ve had stored for a special occasion, my very useful Abus Granite lock (as this is a sort of commuter) and the tanwall Billy Bonkers tyres:

I love this bike:
0E21D6F5-08A9-43E7-AA8F-12512C882EBF.jpeg
I think I’ve zapped a bit of handling due to added weight I guess - as it was on slicks and some nicer wheels previously. Plus the lock of course.

Weight was 10.6 kg, I need to weight it again but I presume it’s 11.5 with that heavy lock…

I want to get a tan charge spoon saddle and some light yellow or copper platform pedals. Possibly upgrade the front mech and put the “original” or similar silver crankset and seat post on it.

(Edited)

Last edited:
I remember the original thread: it was deleted, as were a number of other threads, by someone who hacked into a moderator account.

It's a good feeling when something turns out to be much better than expected. The bike looks built to ride and enjoy. Good stuff! 👍

Thank you, she handles really well and I actually am finding excuses to go out for short rides 👍

One little snag is that I changed the rear cassette and now it jumps/skips. I’m guessing I have to refit the original bedded in cassette?

Update, bought a new chain whip tool (pliers type) to try and remove the original stubborn cassette from the old wheels, let’s try that.
Plus a new 8 spec Acera cassette in case of issues!
Let’s try that tonight, then we can get this bike moving again

Latest posts

Back