Sid Mottram Build

Thanks, I am pleased with it and I just need some gold brake levers now. I'll stop there though, you can go too far with these things.

Just a little update on this one.

The weather was lovely here on Saturday, I hadn't been out on a bike since new year and I'd bought myself a new leather saddle for Christmas to go on the old girl so thought I'd better get out and put a couple of miles on it because according to the manual the saddle will take about 100 miles to shape itself to me.

Well the weather was lovely but the lanes around me still had quite a few little rivers running across them, I managed to go the wrong way and ended up doing a couple more miles than intended and because of the wet roads the bike needed a proper wash when I got home, but apart from that the old girl is still a joy to ride and the new saddle is wearing in nicely.

The only other change since last years build was I managed to get a 41 tooth ring for the front which makes the hills just a little easier.

Attachments

• sid feb 19.jpg
    sid feb 19.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 640
I think you've done a great job - and a worthwhile one there bringing that frame back to life and the finish looks very nice too.
Wally Green built frames for many cycle shops and even produced some under his own name, the rear wrap over stay is apparently one of his features.

There was a Sid Mottram frame recently advertised on Ebay. Seeing yours could get me interested in finding one.

Regards
Shaun

Thanks Shaun I do enjoy putting old bikes like this back into service and riding something like this that I've made shiny from a pile of rusty bits is very satisfying.

My feeling is that something of this rarity and quality is deserving of my efforts but then I put just as much effort in to an old mass produced Raleigh or Falcon so I don't discriminate, this one took a fair amount of time and effort but I'm pleased with the end.

Hello, I do believe that is a Mercian built frame, 1958. Mercian built quite a few Sid Mottram frames. the Frame number is a giveaway. I have a 1958 Mercian and a 1955 with the same lugs and frame number style.

Hello, I do believe that is a Mercian built frame, 1958. Mercian built quite a few Sid Mottram frames. the Frame number is a giveaway. I have a 1958 Mercian and a 1955 with the same lugs and frame number style.
Hello

That's interesting, these things are always difficult to get to the bottom of with such little info but I must admit I'd discounted it being a Mercian frame from that period as I understood it would have 5 digits rather than 4 in the frame number?

Back