show us your modern-retro crossover bikes

firedfromthecircus":1w9mcd78 said:
Here is one of mine.
All modern (except the NOS M739 front derailleur) but rigid and steel saves the best bits from Retro land.

IMG_0188_zpsc35793ee.jpg

IMG_0193_zps95cf8c7e.jpg

Very interesting - perhaps closest to my own retro-modern plans, being steel and rigid. What frame is it?

Re:

Rigid steel 29er you say? I've been riding this all summer. All new but I'm counting the paintjob as retro. :mrgreen:

ultrazenith":duiekeog said:
firedfromthecircus":duiekeog said:
Here is one of mine.
All modern (except the NOS M739 front derailleur) but rigid and steel saves the best bits from Retro land.

IMG_0188_zpsc35793ee.jpg

IMG_0193_zps95cf8c7e.jpg

Very interesting - perhaps closest to my own retro-modern plans, being steel and rigid. What frame is it?

Surly Karate Monkey. Fantastic frames and pretty good value if you can hunt around for a deal. This used to be my singlespeed, and sadly since it got the gears it doesn't get used so much, but I know if I need gears I'll get a great ride on this. :mrgreen:

Here is it's replacement as the SS. Another rigid ride.

IMG_0151_zps023e8296.jpg

IMG_0143_zpsb9785bc9.jpg

Re: Re:

paddy311":2tccrfw2 said:
Rigid steel 29er you say? I've been riding this all summer. All new but I'm counting the paintjob as retro. :mrgreen:

Paint job is definitely retro and really nice......bike is alright too :D

I dont have one but I keep saying one day I will. An On-One Inbred with rigid forks kitted out with old school tech like thumbies, mechanical discs, 5 arm compact chainset etc
That to me would be a good fusion of past and present.

Re:

92' Zaskar with modern parts, fun ride...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 1,072
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 1,072
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 1,072
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 1,072
Re:

I really like this thread, especially the Eaton and the Salsa. The OP's idea is exactly what I would like to build at some point, I don't have the spare cash or space for a proper retro bike but love the look and history of retro.

To the OP having ridden a 29er rigid and hardtail over the last year or so, they do have a kind of retro feel (xc race style set up ones any way), by that I mean they feel fast and never feel boring riding smoother terrain, (fire roads/roads) like some modern bikes do but have the added bonus of being better at the rough stuff.

how about an gt rts3 with lefty forks running modern wheels with disc brakes
pic up soon

Back