SHOW US YOUR IMACS (formerly iMacs should I bother?)

Re:

Wow, just been watching an instruction video on installing RAM into your particular iMac – I've dismantled and rebuilt a few in my time but that looks like proper brain surgery. Just take it nice and slow with that screen and record each step (even photographically) so you can do it in reverse. Sounds like the supplier was very helpful. Good luck with it and keep me posted.

Good advice. Will have a laptop for guidance, lots of little pots for different screw sets and iPad for pics. Wish me luck. Going in this afternoon.

Re:

Good luck indeed with the op. On this procedure, it really pays to be anal and nerdy about the slightest detail, order of processes and keeping notes. Take it real easy. Walk away for a cuppa if you have to. The old G3, G4, G5 Macs were fairly straightforward to open and work on. They made the iMacs so that you were locked out and would have to go to an official Apple reseller for upgrades. With my ageing 2010 iMac, I'm considering a RAM and HD upgrade. The cd drive failed years ago. Let me know how it goes...

I used to be Apple Accredited. It was not fun taking apart the G-mac/ imacs etc, a lot was taped together, causing further damage if you were too vigorous.

Mac books use to give me real headaches.

That was all back in 2006 though so no use to you but certainly you have my sympathy!

Reassembled. New 16gb of ram fitted. On the desk. Download and clean install of high sierra can take up to 14 hours with my spec. It’s been chugging away at it for an hour or so.

Screen is loose fitted just in case. Adhesive strips are on chassis but not peeled yet.

He sits and he waits...........

Re:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The tabs are the pull-offs for the adhesive strips.

Will run it for a few days before I seal it up. Sadly had to wipe the whole drive to do a fresh install of high Sierra. iCloud to the rescue!

Re:

Respect! That's an awesome job done there. Did you find the job more straightforward than feared? It's always worth doing a fresh clean install (after a backup) as this can wipe a lot bugs and problems. Did you need to update the firmware after putting the new RAM in?

In case the iMac ever dies, it's worth cloning it in its entirety asap to a formatted external hard drive. Had some problems with mine a while back when it kept switching itself off and restarting itself. I bought a slim pocket-sized Seagate 1Tb usb drive (£40-£50), reformatted it to Mac OS Journaled extended, then left the iMac cloning/copying itself overnight to the Seagate. Once this is done, you have your entire iMac (everything – OS, apps, all your files, data and settings) on a tiny portable drive safe. You can choose to startup from this clone and run it like the iMac.

Yes, my extensive panic reading led me to the same conclusion. A 'time machine backup' apple calls it. I will invest in a 1tb eternal drive asap.

Thanks for that.

Back