SHOW US YOUR IMACS (formerly iMacs should I bother?)

Re: iMacs should I bother?

Ahaha no, no they didn't. Not as far as I'm aware - the normal reaction to apple's mice type things is to go "what the hell is this?" and plug in PC ones instead. They haven't made a good one in I'd say, 15 years?

I quite liked the ones from back when everything was transparent plastic even though it was only one button.

Bats":2wwqcdb0 said:
They haven't made a good one in I'd say, 15 years?

Nah, they have completely failed to make even one good mouse in their entire history - which, given that they were making mice before most others, is quite an impressive history of failure. Of course they have been innovative in this field, not all their mice have been horrible in the same way...

Even the terminally useless Microsoft have managed to come out with many decent mice in that period!

To give Apple their due though, as far as I can remember they were the first to have really decent touchpads on their laptops...

Re:

Track pads seemed like a great idea at the time...

Can't beat a proper wired mouse. The wireless swipey mouses are all over the place if you go any where near them with the wrong hand gesture. Also these and the wireless keyboards are battery hungry – need to have a recharger to hand all the time.

I loved my G3 Aqua baby iMac – I managed to upgrade it with a bigger hard drive and chips up to OS X. But back then it was easy to tinker with and customise the old Macs. Then the spirit of Steve Jobs stopped that kind of thing.

Here's my work iMac – show us your iMacs...

Attachments

• IMG_0893.JPG
    IMG_0893.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 640

Yes, I will rename the thread. Really starting to love mine. Very oddly pleasing to use.

Re:

Despite the odd negative comments and the tightly locked down branding direction Apple have taken over the past few years, they're still beautiful to use and look. Nothing would ever drag me to using PCs. I don't think you'll look back or want to.

Re: Re:

groovyblueshed":eqtgvxif said:
I loved my G3 Aqua baby iMac – I managed to upgrade it with a bigger hard drive and chips up to OS X. But back then it was easy to tinker with and customise the old Macs.

Mine died last year after the insulation on the big power transformer for the monitor finally disintegrated. It'd run for a while and then short out and trip a breaker. Found a replacement but by that point the plastic inner chassis was so brittle it fell to bits as I unscrewed it.

Got hold of a G4 tower to replace it for a few months before I moved to holland. bloody thing had two processors and the only thing cooling them was a 25mm fan. Sounded like a vacuum cleaner.

Re:

I made sure I got the magic mouse instead after trying the track pad in one of the Apple showrooms. You can swipe it with the fingers but also move the mouse about too, which I need to do for work in graphics. They don't half eat batteries though.

Took me a while to realise that if you do use the trackpad as a coaster, you need to take the batteries out or it locks everything up. Thought i'd broken something. :LOL:

Back