SHOW US YOUR IMACS (formerly iMacs should I bother?)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

I've put this on my watch list!!!

Wide screen, great specs, software (including Adobe CS Master), dual OS, five-ish years old. This will probably rocket.

You should be able to migrate everything from your old iMac to another one but it's worth reading the smaller print to be sure:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204350

PS: I've checked the seller's ratings and there appears to be nothing to worry about – looks like they had problems with one first time eBayer with no track record – if you're selling an iMac that's worth a few grand, you need to have reliable/trustworthy buyers.

Re: iMacs should I bother?

That covers migration but I was wondering about what happens when I register the mac to me not him?

Re:

Trickier, but not necessarily harder or any more difficult :)

What to do before you sell or give away your Mac:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201065

I'm assuming the seller will have done this already, but if not, they will need to do the following four points before shipping the iMac to you:

1. Backup all their files and data (including their Apple ID) to another drive or computer

2. Deauthorise the computer with iTunes

3. Wipe/delete all data (which would include their Apple ID) by securely formatting the hard drive

4. The final step is for them to perform a fresh/clean reinstall of Mac OS, so that the new owner receives the used iMac as if it was brand new out of the box. Once they've clean installed the Mac OS, they should leave it so that only you then run through the new setup assistant yourself when you receive the shipped iMac, allowing you the new owner to go through the configuration process and setup the computer in your name etc.

If you're selling or giving away your Mac, press Command-Q to quit the setup assistant without performing any of the setup steps. Then click Shut Down. When the new owner starts up the Mac, they can use their own information to complete setup.
If the seller has done all the above, you should then be ready/able to transfer or migrate your own Apple ID on to the new iMac once received.

Reinstall Mac OS:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204904

For the Adobe CS5, you and the seller will each need to complete License Transfer forms:

Requirements to transfer a license: Both the license transferor (current owner) and the recipient (new owner) must complete a Transfer of License form. Both forms must be returned to Adobe before the license can be transferred.
https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/x-productkb/ ... cense.html

Re: iMacs should I bother?

Sounds like more trouble than it's worth in my time. Thanks for allowing me to make that informed decision though. I shall treat all machines as clean slates with a request to wipe as part of the deal.

Re:

It's always best to be fully informed as much as possible before making a decision like this. In practice it's not difficult or much trouble at all really. Pretty much all of what I've outlined would/should be done and sorted out by the seller themselves – they wouldn't want to sell and ship a computer with all their data/files/Apple ID still on it. They should be OK if you need to ask them any questions around this. Essentially, you would be receiving a freshly formatted iMac clean installed with Mac OS ready to go – it would be almost like receiving a new computer out of the box. You would be getting a very good iMac. All you need do is fire it up and follow the set up assistant to configure it to you. The refurbished iMac that I bought was a used computer but was shipped to me like it was brand new – all I had to do was turn it on, then follow the set up assistant to configure it – iMacs are really easy to set up. I've used Macs for the past 20 years in work and at home. iMacs of the past 6 years are a breeze to use.

Re:

All true.

Been in both camps for my lifetime, and you couldn't have an easier ride than setting up a Mac.

If you are able to transfer a license for Adobe then that adds value.

They come up often enough to wait for something really local and a good price.

Re:

Just bought a local one :D

Apple iMac 21.5-inch (Late 2012) 2.9Ghz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, 1TB with wireless trackpad, mouse and keyboard.

Will be picking it up asap. Will post a pic once set up. Owner has wiped it to factory 'welcome' screen at startup.

Thanks for all your help chaps. Still have the shonky HP Windows 10 laptop to fall back on if I hate it (which i won't)

THM

Next question: are the cheapo dland external drives worth having at £25. will need something for my CDs Also I have a phono stage with usb out. Can I transfer vinyl straight to itunes?

Re:

That's great news – you've scored yourself a good Mac! I'm pretty confident that you won't look back to the HP.

At work, I have one of those cheapo slim LG external CD drives (about £25) plugged into my 2015 iMac. It works fine and very reliably – so you'll be ok burning CDs.

I have a turntable USB connected to my iMac at home. I installed Audacity http://www.audacityteam.org/download/mac/ as the intermediary ripping software. You can edit/mix and save into many formats including MP4s for then importing into iTunes. I also have Wire Tap Studio which I use to record music off Youtube and import into iTunes – have found all sorts of rare and obscure gems going back into the 60's. I use all three apps together to record/mix/edit and create set lists. Got about a month's worth of music on iTunes.

Re:

HOme. Just upgrading to Sierra so I can get photos working with my other devices........

EEEEEK!

Back