Show us your bikepacking rigs

7DE7AB8A-58A5-48CE-8EDC-C5EEA179DBB4.jpeg Fallen pretty far from retro so I’ll play.

My old setup: ibis tranny 29 with 110mm fork and 26x46 low gear. Dhf 2.35 in front, minion ss in rear. Only thing I’d change is rear tire to a dhr, the minion ss didn’t have enough side tred. Bike was neat because rear triangle unbolted for my compact packing.

9DA859C8-9646-44D3-AE3B-C720865413E1.jpeg

1678809200873.jpeg

Are you writing a trip report anywhere? I am hoping to head that way next year although it is undecided whether it will be bicycle or motorcycle yet.
And a photo of my set up.

View attachment 784103

No trip report as such apart from personal notes and photos.
I definitely recommend Central Asia for cycling, it was my second trip to that very special part of the planet. Great food, stunning scenery, beautiful mix of cultures. People are extremely kind and generous so no problems with wild camping at all, although locals will insist that you stay in their house as a guest rather than in your tent. Or at least drink tea together. Basic knowledge of Russian helps a lot.
All I can say is try to plan your route a bit (I did not) as headwind can be an issue if you’re going west. Also substantial parts of Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan are just barren desert, very beautiful but can get tough and tedious after a week or so, especially when you get caught in a sandstorm. Of course both are large countries and have a variety of terrain. Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan were my favourites in terms of cycling, as I love riding in the mountains.
Your bike looks perfect for the job, suspension is definitely something I wish I had on mine on a couple of occasions!

Last edited:
No trip report as such apart from personal notes and photos.
I definitely recommend Central Asia for cycling, it was my second trip to that very special part of the planet. Great food, stunning scenery, beautiful mix of cultures. People are extremely kind and generous so no problems with wild camping at all, although locals will insist that you stay in their house as a guest rather than in your tent. Or at least drink tea together. Basic knowledge of Russian helps a lot.
All I can say is try to plan your route a bit (I did not) as headwind can be an issue if you’re going west. Also substantial parts of Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan are just barren desert, very beautiful but can get tough and tedious after a week or so, especially when you get caught in a sandstorm. Of course both are large countries and have a variety of terrain. Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan were my favourites in terms of cycling, as I love riding in the mountains.
Your bike looks perfect for the job, suspension is definitely something I wish I had on mine on a couple of occasions!

Thanks for your reply and tips about travelling there especially the wind direction, I am surprised more expedition bikes don't have front suspension, I have not seen another Roughstuff that has it and Surly dropped it from the Troll sometime ago.

Back