Show us your bikepacking rigs

I tend to favour drop bars on my tourers (all 26-ers), but here goes:
52355272063_2b7101e777_b.jpg

Tour de France camping trip to Normandy (wet!)
27838532024_793c44e484_b.jpg

On Dartmoor:
51494432402_1fe259c03e_b.jpg

With son a few years ago, Churchill AVRE parked next to a heavy object:
22188220176_3a2c45ec55_c.jpg

Some nice set ups, always wondered how those handlebar bags affect the cockpit and cables etc. I saw one bike that had extremely long cables between the bars and first cable stops so that his bag could nestle within.

Bar end shifters are fine, the washing lines sit under the barbag. Brake cables (Magura hydro lines on the red Marin) are under the bar tape. Definitely you need to consider the bag when setting cable routes, not least to fit round the bar bag mounts. Likewise it doesn't really work with drop bars narrower than around 42cm as there is little thumb room between lever and bag.

The old Shimano road brifters were the worst as they had the washing lines exactly where the barbag should be, AND the whole assembly pivoted under braking.

Some nice set ups, always wondered how those handlebar bags affect the cockpit and cables etc. I saw one bike that had extremely long cables between the bars and first cable stops so that his bag could nestle within.
I only ride riser bars and have never had any problems with the cables and brakelines. They are pushed a little towards the handlebars but are not bent anywhere. The handlebar bag (Topeak front loader) also comes with some spacers, so there is enough space for cables when mounting.

Interested @KayOs in that last shot. Firstly, serious 'chapeau' for riding in the mountains! Was that a complete bikepacking load? Did you take a tarp & bivi bag and cooking kit?

Back