Show us Ya Citrus Fruit! (Orange Content)

1 1/8th" headset

Orange told me that my 98/99 is ok upto 100mm.

85mm on mine

Orange clockwork, what year?

Hey, nice collection, had no idea Orange had such a following till last few days.

I originally posted the following message on the "new posts section" but after finding this thread figured you maybe better positioned to help, especially given that original posting had 33 views & no comments yet.

Bit more info on the original spec:
Front tyre: Tioga physco 2 (black wall)
Rear tyre: Panaracer Smoke (black wall)
Rims: Mavic m231
Stem: Stalk
Bars: Hot Rod
Full LX groupset

Thanks again
Steph

Hi, great place. Found it when googling information about my Orange which I recently got back out after storing it at my parents for about 6 years.

I've really enjoyed riding it for the last couple of weeks which led me to wonder how much MTB geometry has changed over the years as this feels great.

i also have real problems remembering what year i got this bike. i'm thinking its maybe a 93/94 model but that would of made me 12/13 (which could be right but being 12 seems way to long ago!). i got the bike new so is anybody able to help me out with dating the bike from the picture? (i've got more but didnt wanna bore you with them on my first post!)

Apart from the tyres (which i recently changed as was riding only on the road) all the parts are original. I've also looked for info on the LX groupset it has but no joy.

Thanks for reading, I'd appreciate your help.
Steph[/quote]

Attachments

• DSC_4275.jpg
    DSC_4275.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 2,460
Hi Steph. Always good to see a Clockwork. Looks like a '93 or '94 to me. Can't be later 'cos they were called c16 from '95 on. ;)

Still got my 1996 P7 in almost original condition.

Bought new by me with LX grouppo, Flite Ti and smoke/dart combo, but I switched the rims from Mavic 230 Tibs to 217s as I'm a big fella and taco'd them.

Changed the F7 forks for Pace MXCDs in late 1996 and then the shifter/lever combo and cantis for XT Vs as soon as they were released. Swapped the Hotrod bars for Club Roost risers at the same time.

Went from the Orange seatpost to a USE inline and then Xlite layback, and changed the Flite (my poor ringpiece!) to an Xlite Kevlar jobby.

It's still like that now, although with WTB Velociraptors (c. 1997) and currently in the hands of my very good friend on loan as I'm nice like that and can't abide to sell it, even though I love my 2002 FSR. :oops:

Struggling to find a decent pic but when I do I'll post it.

Re: Orange clockwork, what year?

Steph1201":3ihd2im1 said:
I've really enjoyed riding it for the last couple of weeks which led me to wonder how much MTB geometry has changed over the years as this feels great.

i also have real problems remembering what year i got this bike. i'm thinking its maybe a 93/94 model but that would of made me 12/13 (which could be right but being 12 seems way to long ago!). i got the bike new so is anybody able to help me out with dating the bike from the picture? (i've got more but didnt wanna bore you with them on my first post!)
You certainly won't bore us by posting more pictures! But equally you could start your own thread in the readers' bikes section. On appearance I think the frame is either 1992 or 93, not 94. The black LX parts were certainly current in 1993, but I'm afraid I don't know whether they were also available in 92.

If you want to tie it down, the date the frame was made can be deduced from its serial number (stamped underneath the bottom bracket shell) - e.g. A302 xxxx would mean the 2nd month of 1993. But bear in mind that owing to the time between frame being built and distribution to shops even a number such as A211 xxxx (November 1992) is still probably a 1993 model.

The main difference in geometry since those times is that with suspension, the forks are longer so the handlebars are higher off the ground, and that is increased by the general use of riser bars. There isn't a lot of difference between the Clockwork's geometry and that of a modern rigid bike though.

The slim black LX group set was new for 1993. Saying that though, Orange were the first company to get their hands on it and were offering it on bikes from late summer 1992. ;)

Thanks for your help guys. Had a look at serial number and seems was made in march '03, so good eyes!! I'll see about getting some more pics up, maybe some originals from her racing days in mid 90's!

THere's some seriously nice looking bikes on here. I do love my Orange, so here's my '94 Clockwork. Had it from new, broke the original forks and i've had it set up as a lightweight XC ride, and now moved it onto my Singlespeed bike for Commuting on.

After seeing some of the kit on here, i'm thinking of getting a fresh black paint job and some new stickers for her....

Attachments

• 1994 Orange Clockwork 29-8-10 2.jpg
    1994 Orange Clockwork 29-8-10 2.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 2,369
why do you need that cable stop for the rear brake?

two oranges from 1995 - C16R and P7

future034.jpg

Scottish Power! :p

Back