Show me your single speeds!

Nice and neat!
When fixed "first" came back into the mainstream some 25 years ago there was much discussion about fixed and knees!
The (anecdotal) conclusion was that fixed does NOT damage knees, except, maybe, if persistently push too high a gear rather than spin.
I rode fixed for some years, including in my early teens, and my knees are one of the few parts of my 74 y.o. body that work fine!
It's my lungs that made me give it up!

Nice and neat!
When fixed "first" came back into the mainstream some 25 years ago there was much discussion about fixed and knees!
The (anecdotal) conclusion was that fixed does NOT damage knees, except, maybe, if persistently push too high a gear rather than spin.
I rode fixed for some years, including in my early teens, and my knees are one of the few parts of my 74 y.o. body that work fine!
Hope I'm riding like you at 74 mate 👍

Nice and neat!
Its trying to stop that gave me problems when I did a stint on a fixed hub Reid 700c thing. I can drop a skid fine if I prepare, mentally and physically get ready for it. But its those quick speed changes and reactions that really put an unpleasant load on my knees.

Run f and r brakes and exploit the inherent smoothness of fixed?
You lose the neat, no cables look then.
The coaster brake gives me the best of everything I wanted from this bike, without compromise. That neat, cableless, brakeless tidy look. With the ability to brake quick and regulate speed easily.

I actually built up another 26" coaster wheel just incase I find another bike to convert.

Back