Show me your single speeds!

Most of the other bike though are hard tails or rigids. Your full sus has an ever varying chain length due to suspension movement and thus the chain needs more control to stop it skipping. A single jockey wheel tensioner is fine on most hardtails and URT full susses. I personally use cut up old rear deraillers with a single jockey wheel/roller, works well but maybe not superlight.

velomaniac":30bdhuip said:
Most of the other bike though are hard tails or rigids. Your full sus has an ever varying chain length due to suspension movement and thus the chain needs more control to stop it skipping. A single jockey wheel tensioner is fine on most hardtails and URT full susses. I personally use cut up old rear deraillers with a single jockey wheel/roller, works well but maybe not superlight.

Apologies, I meant most full-sus single speeds - should have been clearer.
URT meaning the effective pivot is concentric with the front sprocket I presume.
Dave

Re:

The bottom bracket is on the rear swingarm with a Unified Rear Triangle so effectively from the BB to the axle is like a hardtail in that the distance between them is constant. Most of the Y-frame suspension bikes are of this type. Yours is Non URT, the BB is on the suspended portion and the axle of the wheel on the unsuspended portion so that as the swing arm moves the length of chainline increases and the tensioner has to do more work.

im not a fan of sprung tensioners, might as well have gears imo. theres a small number of designs, like the kona a, that pivot round the bb shell, keeps the distance uniform through the arc, also had horizontal or sliding dropouts for the job. rare stuff tho. another thing ive seen done is a gt idrive with a bolt drilled in the the shell to fix it in place, effectively making it a urt. weird

thefunkymunki":1hvwlp4s said:
thefunkymunki":1hvwlp4s said:
My now regrettably sold Cannondale F1000. I'm currently single-speeding a Lava Dome to replace it.

here it is:

is that lavadome using a magic ratio? whats the gearing? as for cannondales, the alfine bad boys use an eccentric bb so can be ss easy. im thinking of getting one to use with a lefty fork. bit pricey. they also did a ss called the 1fg. not sure what the f stands for

IMAGE_8DCB9154-8822-4313-9629-B36D626E7201.JPG

'94 DeKerf Mountain, excessively chi-chi build. Love it.

Back