should i nut and bolt restore a offroad proflex 856???

Shaggy1979

Gary Fisher Fan
proflex 856 red.jpg should i go to the effort of full strip to frame change to the silver picture fron the red one ....which is a pic of the one im thinking of buying
then rebuild with xtr groupset and then whtever i can afford at the time for the rest ..............
this is gooing to be my suspension bike .........or can anyone reccomend something else before i buy it
many thanks in advance
proflex 856 silver.jpg proflex 856 red.jpg sso proflex 856 silver.jpg

Seems a shame to strip the team red frame to spray it silver.

The red one is a small frame btw.

I thought about getting one of these, but apparently they ride like tanks. I have a '99 S-Works FSR which I would recommend as a vintage DS.

It's at the back of a pile in the depths of the shop thanks a small is no good to me ....
It was just I like the silver look ....and I would have for years anyway....OK I'll keep looking g

It's at the back of a pile in the depths of the shop thanks a small is no good to me ....
It was just I like the silver look ....and I would have for years anyway....OK I'll keep looking g

If the top shock bolt goes through the tube instead of the gusset then it is a small

I've never owned one but read various posts suggesting they are great frames considering their age. I've got my fave retro full Susser, a GT team RTS which I won't part with, love it although the rear shock is proprietary so aside from risse, no alternatives, which is similar to proflex in that respect.

Amp frames and variants like litespeed, mongoose are nice options but again, limited shock options.

What sort of bike are you after? I've got a not so retro Marin full Susser I bought for my eldest son, but at 13, it's too big so gathering dust. I may have an amp b4 to sell, haven't decided yet. Both are silver, the amp looks quite similar to the proflex.

I also have a litespeed full Susser, ti front end, amp rear I have had for years and never had the time to build. I really must, or sell.

Yup, go for it. It is an elegantly simple FS frame.

Look for a spring/oil damper for the rear. Elastomer replacements for the MCU limit rear travel.

I thought about getting one of these, but apparently they ride like tanks. I have a '99 S-Works FSR which I would recommend as a vin

I've never owned one but read various posts suggesting they are great frames considering their age. I've got my fave retro full Susser, a GT team RTS which I won't part with, love it although the rear shock is proprietary so aside from risse, no alternatives, which is similar to proflex in that respect.

Amp frames and variants like litespeed, mongoose are nice options but again, limited shock options.

What sort of bike are you after? I've got a not so retro Marin full Susser I bought for my eldest son, but at 13, it's too big so gathering dust. I may have an amp b4 to sell, haven't decided yet. Both are silver, the amp looks quite similar to the proflex.

I also have a litespeed full Susser, ti front end, amp rear I have had for years and never had the time to build. I really must, or sell.
I want the gt team mate only because you don't wanna sell ....lol
I don't know what I'm after specifically
I know I'd prefer something that's not common and either Bare metal finishe titanium or silver / gun metal grey whether that means frame respray
Was on looking for suggestions
I intend to keep not sell then hand down the line to family when of age .....

Ok I've thought hard and I think a perfect for me new project is a raleigh torus titanium .....
Don't see many people with them uf anyone has any experience or knowledge of why I shouldn't I'd be appreciative of your input....
And if anyone has frame for sale I am 6 foot 3 inch so frame size needs to be I'd say 19/20 inch .....

Back