Should i grease/oil free hub/cassette

Only if you want to remove it again. 😃
Doesn’t need much, you are just looking to prevent corrosion and the two parts welding themselves together. Make sure you do the lock ring as well.

always apply little grease on the freehub - also for above reasons.

Yesterday had to remove the cassette on friends e-bike (forgive me to mention e-bike here :)) where there had been noises from the backwheel / freehub / disc rotor, I could not figure out. So removed the cassette which had not greased to/on the freehub and it was quite sized and needed some hit with a mullet until it was free. After inspection of the freehub body and a coating the DT-Swiss internals, I lightly greased the body and refitted the cassette AND bingo - after a short testride all the noises are gone.

In my experience the only times a cassette has been hard to remove is when it's dug into the splines. If it was steel/alu I would but alu on alu I don't see the point. Copper slip on the lockring is a good practice though.

I'm sure my greasy butter hands are enough to do the job anyways

In my experience the only times a cassette has been hard to remove is when it's dug into the splines. If it was steel/alu I would but alu on alu I don't see the point. Copper slip on the lockring is a good practice though.

I'm sure my greasy butter hands are enough to do the job anyways
I've always been told they you should never stick your unprotected appendage in to an unlubed hole, or at least ask first for fear of repercussions.

Back