Shimano Exage hub servicing, parts etc for noob?

If the hub feels notchy then often it's simply too tight - Shimano ones seem always too tight ex-factory.

I've generally given up routinely swapping bearings etc. I back the LHS cone off about 5mm until I can see inside - pushing the axle across allows the RHS to be checked too. If the grease is clean both sides I stuff it full of grease from the nozzle of the gun and retighten. I only dismantle if it's a rusty mess. If grease doesn't ooze out on tightening it's not enough. Grease is cheap, it wets out seals and there is then no space for water to invade. However I pay a lot of attention to getting bearing tension right - it should have the tiniest amount of axle play with the QR loose.
I really don't like hub maintenance and always push it out. I imagine that at some point, i will take a vacation day (edit, I just counted the number of hubs in the family stable of which I am the nominal caretaker, and it would be a bit more than a day . . .) and sit down and disassemble, inspect, repack, and careful adjust each and every hub i own.

Until that day arrives, this exact loosen, grease, tighten routine is, realistically, all I will manage. So far, the hubs are ok.

Back