Shifting woes! SRAM ESP7.0 rear mech. Now Sorted.

grey-beard

Orange 🍊 Fan
Hey, I've put a couple of pics of my rear mech. Just been out for a ride on my just finished P7 build. No matter what I do with the cable tension, the gears skip under any sort of load! There is definitely something up with the top jockey wheel, cage mounting? It won't hang straight, it looks as if the fixing is out from the body of the mech somehow? I haven't taken it off yet to have a proper look. I don't know how far these can be stripped. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
IMG_20210620_133855.jpg IMG_20210620_134045.jpg

Is the mech hanger straight?

If it is , that looks like a bent mech to me and it’s simply easier to buy a used one

+1 always start by straightening the hanger.
Masses of "unsolvable shifting issues" are simply solved by aligning the hanger correctly. (No, a new frame/brand new hanger is NOT a guarantee that the hanger is aligned correctly!)

+2 Hangers bent. It really makes a huge difference to shifting even if its a bit out in either direction..

Easy to make a tool for £5.00 to straighten it out.

Heres mine, you probably get the drift.

Just use the valve hole as a point of ref on the wheel and measure off the rim to the arm 180o apart, both horizontally and vertically. Measurements should be the same, if that makes no sense ( i often dont), i can always put up some pictures.

Attachments

• 20210620_155805.jpg
    20210620_155805.jpg
    325.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210620_155811.jpg
    20210620_155811.jpg
    374.2 KB · Views: 0
Not easy to tell from the pics but hanger looks ok. Was it shifting ok before you made any changes?

The point at which the mech cage meets the main mech body looks looks to me. You should be able to tighten it via a bolt on the cage. Pop the inner cage off and see whats there and if you can tighten it.

If the frame hanger is out of alignment, the thread is the same as a hub axle so you can use one to very gently re-align it, if it needs to be.

I did have an xo mech that developed excessive play at the mech hanger joint, similar to the cage one, there's a print in there for tension.

Thanks for the replies. I believe it is the mech that's the problem, the hanger seems pretty straight but I'll check it. The shifter us gripshift 700.

Thanks for the replies. I believe it is the mech that's the problem, the hanger seems pretty straight but I'll check it. The shifter us gripshift 700.
Nice one, I was worried for the pull ratio between srt (shimano spec) and esp.
Looks like a straight case of brute realignment.

Yeah, the top jockey looks twisted. The cage looks to be ok, have you tried removing the top jockey and checking it, and seeing if the bolt is all the way though.

If that was mine i would remove the chain and the rear mech which will then be more obvious and also make sorting it easier.

Back